The mkiv Supra Owners Club

£ is so weak !

tooquicktostop

Just arrived back from Antibes looking around the area I will be moving to later this year, well the South of France has always been expensive, but with the weak £ the South of France is sooooo expensive, eg,

Pint of beer in Juan Les Pins £9.50

Fillet steak with saute potatoes in a bar £33

Gin and tonic in my hotel £15

Set 3 course dinner in small restaurant in Antibes £45

Bottle of house wine in the hotel £45

Clothes 30% more expensive at least

We were pulling about £150 per day just for lunch and dinner and we never really went to any of the 'smart' restaurants!!, looks like the lifestyle will more about sunshine and location rather than nights out !!!

I can't see things improving anytime soon, in fact I can see them getting worse.

I've just accepted a permanent position in Japan. I haven't been perm for 10 years, but with the exchange rate my permie salary in Yen is about the same as I can get on contract in the UK. That and the fact contracts globally aren't as nice as they were with agents and clients talking down the rates because of the economy, I think I'll lay low for a couple of years....

I was reading an article in the sunday papers about couples who bought property in France a few years back are now selling to come back to the uk (god knows why :D) and are actually better off with the extra money in their pocket from the exchange rate. This is the opposite of a few years ago when we sold property to buy cheap in France, funny old business isn't it ? :D

Personally Dean i think the quality of life would outweigh the loss of nights out etc.

Sad days for the pound yes, I truly feel for you as I have been suffering the 2/1 exchange of the dollar over the past nearly 2 years, now at 1.34 to the dollar I couldn't be happier :p

Why? Unless you live in the USA, it's stopping people buying from abroad because the pound is so weak.

It had better change soon as I'm off to New York in May and $1.34 to the pound is pants!!!!!

It's good for exports. About time we as a country made and exported stuff instead of buying it all in.

Yeah well, the manufacturing industry said all that twenty years ago. Now we are totally fubarred. Limited skills, aged and almost retired skilled workforce and very few engineers in training that stay in the UK. Dont get me wrong we do have some centres of excellence but in the main we could not make a pot to p!ss in. As an example, name any white/brown/black goods that are manufactured in the UK. and compete in the world markets.

I have a very good friend who is an engineer who has worked for fifty years in manufacturing and he will take all that accumulated skill out of the workforce at the end of this year. This guy is pure gold and the government should pay him NOT to retire. Skills like his are priceless but he has not had anyone to pass them on to for years. Well its too late now and he has had enough. Bloody criminal waste if you ask me.

Limited at that too unfortunately....

Posted via Mobile Device

Design and engineering graduates from the UK are some of the most highly sought in the world. Our graduate engineers are second to none. We are not talking about 'ology' graduates in some mickey mouse toilet paper degree but serious degrees here.