The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LHD cars in UK (experience anyone)

GazzaGSi

Thinking of getting corvette for my next car but they only come in LHD. (unless if I had another 15k spare to do a conversion) :blink:

Anyone have experience in a LHD car in the UK?

Ive only driven a LHD for about 15 minutes in one as part of a rally experience package I got. In the US I was fine but they drive on the other side of the road so wasnt a problem.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts and opinions of driving one in the UK and if its not practicle?

Cheers

Ive had a couple of LHD M5's a mate imported and F150 lightninig, got on ok with them tbh, i fancy a Corvette C5 now and doing a TT conversion on it.:innocent:

What Corvette are you looking at getting mate? ive been looking about at them for a while and all the C5's about at the min are auto, also got to be black for me, would look great sat next to the Supe:cool:

Cheers for the help guys. Guess the only way I will find out is from test driving afew but just wanted others ppl's thoughts as I was abit concerned about overtaking, roundabouts, drive-thru's etc

Jamie, looking at a C6 with the z51 pack manual 6spd.

Something along the lines of these:

Also sound awesome:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g321ow6lXNo (55 secs onwards)

Definately will be black or white - 99% certain black.

If the exchange rate to the dollar hadnt plumetted now would of been the time to import one. '05 plates with the z51 pack are going for sub $30k with around 10-20k miles on the clock.

Just need to do some measuerments to make sure they'll fit in my garage...

Dont think they are wider than a supe.

Wikipedia is a marvellous thing.

The evo I currently have is 69.7" wide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Lancer_Evolution#Evolution_IX

The C6 is 72.6" wide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C6

Think I have around 3" 's spare :D

You soon get used to it. Overtaking is not a problem if you just hang back a bit, or have a passenger that you can trust.

The only issues I find are on some of the narrower roads around here, Corvettes are wide cars to be sat on the wrong side of - I tend to hug the kerb more to compensate. The M6 toll is a pain unless you have a Tag, but generally LHD is fine.

Pound to a pinch of sh*t you constantly bash your left hand into the door card looking for the gear lever :D I had RHD cars in Europe for a couple of years and things you take for granted are a pita. If you go into car parks putting the ticket in the barrier is a proper PITA, especially in a low down car like that. Any drive in thing be it maccy d's or the euro tunnel is a pain in the proverbial's. Seeing to overtake can be a right bastard as well especially in the UK where overtakers are apparently making work for undertakers. In holland I used to let the impatient gimp behind me overtake then pull out behind them and blitz past them after they pulled back over. Lorries are a real bugger to get past. You find though that you alter your driving style and pull out to have a looksee down the road way before you even need to be on the wrong side.

One positive is parralel parking is a doddle as you can look out your own window at the kerb :D Also any gate/barrier with a checker on it has to walk around the car to get to you :D Heard the one about the mazda driver being pulled by the feds for drink driving??

Had 3 Corvettes, 2 Mustangs, a Camaro and one or two others I think over the years that I can't think of rright now. (Sorry, just had a bottle of wine!)

TBH, if you drive it for a weekend, you'll never look back. Easy - I even prefer it to RHD on a narrow road now with oncoming traffic as I know how close to the kerb I really am.

Wouldn't want to change my C6 for anything now, really. It's got luggage space, it's got looks (IMHO, although I realise it isn't everyones taste as it's American) ad it's got decent performance at a very reasonable cost. If you want one, then go for it. Get on the CCCUK website for any advice you might think you want.

As for the comments about McDonalds - come on! I drive a Corvette - I don't eat at McDonalds FFS! ( ;) )

I manage in car parks etc. What else can I say? It's worth it!

:D

Pound to a pinch of sh*t you constantly bash your left hand into the door card looking for the gear lever

Maybe for the first few times you go to find reverse to get into your own driveway. After that I found I learned where the gear stick was.

:p

Realistically, what are the conversion costs on these? 15K sounds a bit steep!

P.S. I've always wanted a Corvette, but my missus loves the Mustang.

Its probably abit more actually. The only place Ive come across is corvetteclinic in Australia. Pricing at $49500AUS which equates to about $32000US so around £18-20k http://www.corvetteclinic.com.au/services/rhd_conversion.php

Mabe there is cheaper options or nearer places around :Pling:

Get on the CCCUK website for any advice you might think you want.

Already bookmarked ;) Got a great guide on their too with what has to be converted for the SVA.

Got any pics of yours?

Cheers for the info and opinions guys, definately appreciated.

Think all the points I was thinking about have been discussed and more. . . Never even thought about the car park entrance/exit with the ticket!

My brother bought a C5 Z06 last year, I've driven it quite a few times and I was surprised at how comfortable it was changing gear with your right hand.

It's not so easy to see what's coming at roundabouts and junctions when you've got a passenger but the pleasure he gets from driving it makes it all worthwhile.

He's got an aftermarket exhaust with an induction kit so it produces a fantastic deep rumble on acceleration, I thought my car got a lot of attention until I drove the Corvette. :shock: