The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking of selling up for a Jag - X-Type

heartworm

Anyone own an X-Type? I don't drive the supra the way it should be driven, I potter along everywhere in it, I don't really go to the shows with it and really just use it for getting about in it rather than the enjoyment of driving it.

Taken a fancy to an X-Type with its nice gentle suspension, and AWD that jags offer, but I still have a house full of supra parts to as I have everything for my TT conversion, which ive lost all interest in I think:search: G/F would kill me, don't think she would appreciate shifting the car just a couple of months after the respray too :S

Don't be a fool.

They aren't that fast, are thirsty, look like a bag of shit and are outclassed by the S-Type, which is saying something!

The interior is nice, I'll give you that, but you'll still be wondering why you bought the "budget" jag.

PS I'm talking from experience :)

Don't be a fool.

They aren't that fast, are thirsty, look like a bag of shit and are outclassed by the S-Type, which is saying something!

The interior is nice, I'll give you that, but you'll still be wondering why you bought the "budget" jag.

PS I'm talking from experience :)

The one thing I can rule out I'm looking for is fast, as I said I don't drive my N/A fast, at all. I had heard they were thirsty though. I had a look at the S-Type but the looks just put me off them, its the interior that's swinging it for me.

The one thing I can rule out I'm looking for is fast, as I said I don't drive my N/A fast, at all. I had heard they were thirsty though. I had a look at the S-Type but the looks just put me off them, its the interior that's swinging it for me.

It would be a bad move mate, trust me.

Look at the XK Jags, they're fantastic value right now. Go for 2003+ though.

You want to sell your supe for what is basically a ford mondeo ? :blink: :spank:

Hey, I may not like them but the X Type is a long way from a Mongdeo.

It would be a bad move mate, trust me.

Look at the XK Jags, they're fantastic value right now. Go for 2003+ though.

Hey, I may not like them but the X Type is a long way from a Mongdeo.

Have they changed them in recent years into not having the same engine chassis and running gear ? I've not been on Jagwatch in recent times :search:

Have they changed them in recent years into not having the same engine chassis and running gear ? I've not been on Jagwatch in recent times :search:

I know what you mean but the finished article is a lot better finished and drives better too. It's all too easy to write off cars because they share parts with other cars.

Oh, and I didn't think the Mongdeo was 4WD?

I know what you mean but the finished article is a lot better finished and drives better too. It's all too easy to write off cars because they share parts with other cars.

how much of a difference does the Jag 4wd make? I drive through the middle of nowhere every day on the way to uni or work and the RWD struggles to get off the street in the slightest bit of snow, I was wanting something that can reliably get me around in poor conditions too.

My brother bought a 3.0 S Type, it's very nice, quiet and comfortable. Manual gearbox though, he wishes he got an auto.

He converted it to LPG himself which made the engine even quieter.

You want to sell your supe for what is basically a ford mondeo ? :blink: :spank:

Have you driven the previous shape newish Mondeo?

I am being over critical as I like jags and used to have an xj6 but I got put off them with the whole nicosil problem ( my dad still drives an s-type and it is in fairness a v nice car ) was a toss up between an xkr and the supe before I went for the supe in the end as the xkr I looked at was slightly shabby and put me off

I'll prob hold out for a cple of years and get a db7 before they make them illegal or some other emissions crap :( (will see if the mrs lets me keep the supe too ;) )

The only X I'd have is the estate but thats only because thats the only estate that jag does and I am pre-disposed towards estates. After that I'd have the twin turbo diesel S type. To be hugely honest though I'd right now have either a MK2 toyota aristo loaded up to the max with UK converted goods, or an Audi S8 which will be the very best ever wafting about in motor but with huge power and 4wd for those lets do a bit of speed now moments.

My wife (Angie) has the X-Type Sport diesel Estate as her work car. She changed her Audi A6 for it and TBH it's by far the better drive.

It does have the same chassis as the Mondeo (but then so does the Land Rover Freelander and you couldn't really say they are similar!) and uses the Ford 2.0 TDCi lump.

TBH I think platform sharing between manufacturers is a great idea. (Even if they are owned by the same company) By having them all contribute to the development costs, they've come up with a pretty good chassis. The running gear I understand is NOT Mondeo, but is particular to the Jag - in this case the Sport has the setup that bit stiffer and it handles very well - even for an estate! I read somewhere that the X-Type uses only 17% Mondeo parts.

We tried Audi (A4 Avant & A6), Mercedes C-Class, Volvo V50 and a Honda Accord, but the Jag was really good TBH. The general feel is that it's of good enough quality and will last. It's been reliable in the 1 year she's owned it and servicing costs are ok too. The only cars that we considered viable alternatives for the job were BMW (but too pricey and RWD is an issue as she works out in the sticks a lot) and the Saab 9-3. (residuals are worse for the Saab - but I now have one for work as it was sooo cheap 2nd hand!)

As long as you don't choose a gold one, you'll see more young people in X-Types than you will in a C-Class Merc.

So basically it does what it says on the tin - it's got reasonable running costs (waaaayyy cheaper than the Supe - but not as exciting) and it feels like it's that bit classier inside than your run of the mill Audi's etc. I do appreciate though, that the X-Type will never have the same image re. build quality as Audi - but believe me, Audi aren't as good as the once were!

Anyone any idea what I should put the car up for sale at? I'm not desperate to change, just fancy the idea.

Good points: good recent candy orange paint

veilside arches

veilside skirts

trd spoiler

trd bonnet

Glass headlights

Leather interior

Manual

HAs at least 6 months of MOT, possible 8 I Think its August its due.

Possible tt conversion available. Have all the parts but not had time/inclination to put it in.

Bad bits: front fogs arn't working - sure it's a loose cable but had too much uni work to fix myself.

Needs new rear disks - have a set to include in sale if I don't get them done first.

Couple of marks on the bonnet at the corner, small and my bodyshop say easily repairable.

Shows 98k miles, this is a mix of miles and km but not sure on split

http://content.altnation.com/gallery/files/2/7/4/4/car3.jpg

I had an X-Type 3.0se AWD, all the toys and cost £30k. What I will say is thank the motoring gods Jaguar have a fabulous no questions asked warranty ! It went back to the dealer 14 times in one year, and not for minor stuff ! Couple of gearboxes, a diff, prop., It decided to lock all the doors so for a week I had to get in and out via the NSR door :rolleyes: I had loads of faults with it.

That said, it was a nice drive, went well and the touch screen satnav etc was great. But I certainly wouldn't want one without the Jag warranty.