The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Xbox 360 - Died THE Death!

DannoSupra

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ps3 is the best i play online and had no problems, i was going to buy the xbox. Than i thought its bloody crap you have to pay years membership and buy the things for it, then comes the stupid ring of deat:D

Is English numbered amongst your multi-lingual talents?

Ok, Ill tell you the Xbox fix. Its all to do with the main CPU connection with the motherboard and the X clamp.

As the unit heats with prolonged useage, the motherboard flexes, and the solder joints between the CPU and motherboard become weak. Thats why the towel trick works, the heat melts the solder a bit which temporarily fixes it.

Permenant fix goes like this :- Get a new X clamp and screws from Microsoft, run the box up for few hours to get it nice and hot, smash the new X clamp and screws in, let it cool, problem eliminated.

*Edit* Also as a PS3 owner I reckon the 360 is a better gamers machine but the PS3 is futureproof for things like Blu Ray etc. IMO of course

Ok, Ill tell you the Xbox fix. Its all to do with the main CPU connection with the motherboard and the X clamp.

As the unit heats with prolonged useage, the motherboard flexes, and the solder joints between the CPU and motherboard become weak. Thats why the towel trick works, the heat melts the solder a bit which temporarily fix it.

Permenant fix goes like this :- Get a new X clamp and screws from Microsoft, run the box up for few hours to get it nice and hot, smash the new X clamp and screws in, let it cool, problem eliminated.

*Edit* Also as a PS3 owner I reckon the 360 is a better gamers machine but the PS3 is futureproof for things like Blu Ray etc. IMO of course

Thats what i think too... Thanks for the info :thumbs:

I took mine home to the folks place at Christmas and it came up with the ring of death as I plugged it into their tele. I switched it off and back on (hey, I work in IT ;)) and it's worked perfectly fine ever since.

the famous red ring of death is infact only 3 segments. If you get all 4 it just means the cables arnt connected correctly :)

Ps3 is the best i play online and had no problems

I believe XBox Live is still superior to the PS3 online service?

i was going to buy the xbox.

Please don't

Than i thought its bloody crap you have to pay years membership

You don't have to buy a years worth... Where does it say that?

and buy the things for it

What things? Or do you mean the XBox Live subscription?...

then comes the stupid ring of deat:D

2 XBoxes here, that have both been heavilly used, no ring of death to be seen, yes a lot of people have had problems, but MS seem to be dealing with them well (To the poster above who had his chipped and got the RROD, it's worth considering sending it back, as a few people I know have sent chipped ones back, and recieved a replacement, I guess they're not looking at the boxes and are just issuing replacements...

It's a pretty easy fix if it is out of warrenty. All it takes is 8 screws and some spring mounted washers to replace the xclamp which warps overtime with the heat and doesn't hold it firmly enough against the cpu and graphics card. There guys on ebay who sell the kits with the correctly sized screw and washers for a few quid also comes with a guide on how to do the repair.

I was going to ask whats involved in a repair, mines in pieces now in front of me!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

And I'm listening to the dance version of the 'Platoon' music, I can imagine your 360 on its knees with you stabbing it's back with your screwdriver, it's wireless controllers flailing about in the air!..... lol

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

And I'm listening to the dance version of the 'Platoon' music, I can imagine your 360 on its knees with you stabbing it's back with your screwdriver, it's wireless controllers flailing about in the air!..... lol

no no no its all organised here!! Very very easy to be fair :p

Ps3 is the best i play online and had no problems, i was going to buy the xbox. Than i thought its bloody crap you have to pay years membership and buy the things for it, then comes the stupid ring of deat:D

Hate to burst your bubble but Live is the key, you get what you pay for.

Both machines do the media stuff and each has their strengths in that area.

The 360 pad feels better, games run better and multiplayer over Live is MILES better.

It has all the games INCLUDING Tekken 6 :p

The only reason for getting a PS3 was the Blue Ray player, now you can get one cheaper than a PS3!!

When is the year of the Playstation supposed to start i can never remember. Was it 2007, 2008 or this year?? :D

Sadly, I never got into GOW, after all the hype and so on (Friends into it including Babe's Sisters fella, who love it) I just couldn't get into it... But Mass Effect, GTA4, Forza 2, Many Lego Games, Fable 2 (And the DLC (That I did in 1 night)), and Fallout 3 have all had me captivated, still on F/Out 3 atm as I've only had it for a couple of weeks... It's damn good :)