• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noooooooooooooo!!!!! :complain: :complain:

RING OF DEATH

My First and ONLY Xbox :(

After over 3years of hassle free gaming :(

Its now time for an Elite!!! ;)

Theres a free number on the microsoft xbox 360 site somewhere.

They will refurb for about £60, sometimes if you push they will do it for less or even free.

:innocent:Maybe mention, after hearing about the constant problems you are thinking of getting a PS3 instead:eyebrows:

Theres a free number on the microsoft xbox 360 site somewhere.

They will refurb for about £60, sometimes if you push they will do it for less or even free.

:innocent:Maybe mention, after hearing about the constant problems you are thinking of getting a PS3 instead:eyebrows:

Cheers Buddy ;)

I'll mention PS3 see what they say :eyebrows:

EDIT - I got the 3 flashing lights! aka 'Ring Of Death'

And after finally getting onto Gold Cross on COD4 too

Bummer...

What's your reason for going for the elite though? Do you need the HD space?...

Only mentioning as I bought an elite, so I could have my 20gb one as a media (and gaming) player in the bedroom, and I wanted a black one to go with everything else in the lounge...

When I was looking at them (Just before Xmas), I thought the bundles were much better for the 'lower versions' for the price, they didn't affect me too much as I'm confortable with my games (About 20+ :))

It does look nice though (And I really must order that damn transfer cable)...

Bummer...

What's your reason for going for the elite though? Do you need the HD space?...

My TV is Black, my Soundsystem is Black, and TV Stand Also!

Apparently the Elite has a better chip :p

I was thinking of getting a PS3 too... They're coming down in price next month to match the Elite apparently

Cheers Buddy ;)

I'll mention PS3 see what they say :eyebrows:

I have had 5 Xbox 360's now, but don't get on it much now.

Apparently on the new ones and the ones they refurb, they put a brace across the top of the chip set, which stops the chip lifting away from the motherboard when it buckles under heat:blink:

I was thinking of getting a PS3 too... They're coming down in price next month to match the Elite apparently

As long as the Xbox 360 has been made in the last 6 months (manufacture date on the bottom), it will come with the brace over the chip set.

The Elite uses exactly the chip set, it was a rumour that was spread before the Elite's release (proberbly by Microsoft) to try and justify the higher cost

i sent mine off today to get fixed. You can wrap it in a towel and overheat it and it works for a little while (mine lasted 3 days before it dies again. Did this with mine about 5 times but then that little trick stopped working. The towel trick sounds daft but it works, look on youtube for walkthroughs.

Check the manufacture date on the back and if its within 3 years microsoft will repair it for free. Including postage with UPS. You just need to register it on xbox.com in the support section then print off the dispatch label. Takes about 3 weeks apparently. Might aswell do that and then flog it on ebay as one that is cured :p

If its knackered try wrapping it up in a thick towel then turn the console on, leave it for about 5 mins. Switch it off, let it cool down and switch it back on again. I tried this trick with mine and it worked. Failing that, wrap it up make it overheat so you get the RROD and send it to microsoft for a free repair - might take a few months tho!!

:Edit: Guigsy beat me to it.

i sent mine off today to get fixed. You can wrap it in a towel and overheat it and it works for a little while (mine lasted 3 days before it dies again. Did this with mine about 5 times but then that little trick stopped working. The towel trick sounds daft but it works, look on youtube for walkthroughs.

Check the manufacture date on the back and if its within 3 years microsoft will repair it for free. Including postage with UPS. You just need to register it on xbox.com in the support section then print off the dispatch label. Takes about 3 weeks apparently. Might aswell do that and then flog it on ebay as one that is cured :p

You proberbly won't get your original one back, they will receive yours and check it is faulty and just send you a refurbed one straight back out.

My average turn around has been about a week

DannoSupra, join the DARK SIDE! Get a PS3.... :eyebrows:

I'm thinking about getting one of those to add to my 2 360's :) - Thanks to a nice paycheck :) - I know I want it, but I'm just looking online to try and justify it (I know it's blu-ray (However it's spelt, but DVD's look fine on my telly through the XBox))

That was my main deciding factor that made me get an Elite :)

Apparently, but I haven't noticed any difference really?

Any links showing that?... As I'm thinking about one (as above) - But I'm likely to buy one tomorrow... (Impatient here!)

No.

Then I sit educated :)

it must be costing them a fortune... bit of a costly design error that one!

Someone at work (although he hates MS) told me that MS lose money on each 360 that's sold, but makes up for it on the licensing/royalties of games, he may be wrong, and it was over a year ago, I'll ask him for his sources...

Mine had this problem a few weeks ago, can't send it back as its chipped. I took it apart, disconnected the fan for a while until it cut off, put it back together and it works fine. You can get kits to uprate the cooling fixtures apparantly. Used mine all weekend as my bro was over for a gaming weekend, no problems. Apparantly the heat causes the solder to run and recreate the joint...

I took mine home to the folks place at Christmas and it came up with the ring of death as I plugged it into their tele. I switched it off and back on (hey, I work in IT ;)) and it's worked perfectly fine ever since.

That said you can hear it revving up when it's turned on these days... somethings going to give soon I think.

I was thinking about biting the bullet and getting Elite.. for the bigger HD and the HDMI port.. as I'm using the component at the minute which only gives me 1080i...

I can't even consider a PS3 until some games come out for it.. and everything runs better on a 360 as far as I can see.

I think God of War 3 might temp me if it ever comes :rolleyes: