Paul Whiffin

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got back from Snetterton getting ready for Sundays Time Attack. Pretty good day, working on the traction control setup which is definately working well now(thanks Ryan). Worked on the balance of the car in the afternoon and I've got a very base setting(which I'm sure Steve will be stealing!) for Sunday now, got plenty of confidence in the high speed stuff which is totally different to what I had last year! Feels slow down the straights compared to last year though, have I mentioned I'm missing the GT42RS?

Had a tear up with a GTR which was easy meat, was quick through the corners though.

Cant wait for Sunday now :)

Just got back from Snetterton getting ready for Sundays Time Attack. Pretty good day, working on the traction control setup which is definately working well now(thanks Ryan). Worked on the balance of the car in the afternoon and I've got a very base setting(which I'm sure Steve will be stealing!) for Sunday now, got plenty of confidence in the high speed stuff which is totally different to what I had last year! Feels slow down the straights compared to last year though, have I mentioned I'm missing the GT42RS?

Had a tear up with a GTR which was easy meat, was quick through the corners though.

Cant wait for Sunday now :)

Was the TC alright in the fast corners in the end?

What was your best lap time then ;)

p.s dont forget to sort your laptop connection incase you need to change something sunday. I will have the phone with me on the golf course :D

Was the TC alright in the fast corners in the end?

What was your best lap time then ;)

p.s dont forget to sort your laptop connection incase you need to change something sunday. I will have the phone with me on the golf course :D

No not really mate, I turned it off in the end. Didn't really set a proper lap time as the TC was playing around to much and to much slow traffic in the way to get a decent lap, those GTR's do get in the way a bit!

Steve's is looking all good for tomorrow so we'll sort the laptop then mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, as you know the Time Attack season is now over, see the last round report here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=199747

Had a blinding year finishing 2nd overall in class behind Steve, what might have been without the turbo failure testing at Knockhill, Steve watchout for next year mate :)

Anyway, got some more plans as usual on the car:

1. Lose some more weight. Main one will be removing the heater system. Plus I'll be going for a custom made titanium exhaust to. My current exhaust weighs about 25kg! Should be able to knock a good 15kg off with Ti I reckon, target db will be 98 so I dont have to worry about it.

2. Roll cage tied into the pillars, should be done like this from the beginning, Andy Robinson Race Cars forgot to do it though :(

3. Get the traction control setup properly, still not happy with it, far to intrusive, I'm sure it just needs more fettling to suit my car.

4. Rose jointed suspension arms, will be getting some Ikeya Formula parts sent over, wish this bloody exchange rate would sort itself out!

5. Ridox front splitter/canards. The car now has to much rear downforce so needs a proper splitter on the front to compensate, I'll also try out some canards as well to see what there like to.

6. Titan Motorsport 280 9.7mm lift cams, going to test these out back to back with the HKS 280's I have now, suppose to be worth 30bhp apparently, soon find out.

Think thats about it for the moment. There's always other little bits and pieces, got to keep a lid on the spending a bit though! Would love a sequential gearbox!

Edited by Paul Whiffin (see edit history)

Take a look at this. I had this titanium downpipe lying around so I thought I'd try it on for size. It weighs in at 1kg, my stainless steel downpipe weighs 4kg, so its 4 times lighter, should be some massive weight savings on the full system.

Anyway its a perfect fit apart from the V-band on the turbo needs reducing down to 3.5". Also needs the stock O2 sensor take off removing. Just need to get the rest of the exhaust made in titanium now, I "might" be trying a side exit design, a pipe out each side in front of the rear wheels. 1 it keeps the weight in the middle of the car and 2 it'll look good spitting flames out each side!

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/mysuprapics/titanium downpipe.jpg

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/mysuprapics/titanium downpipe2.jpg

Do the side exit exhaust Paul, that would look sick

Do it in Matt Black too, and if you do please make it avilable to us :)

Matt black? If I do it I'd rather show off the titanium I think. Its going to be a one off exhaust this though. If there is enough interest I may look at it getting them made, wont be cheap though being titanium.

Matt black? If I do it I'd rather show off the titanium I think. Its going to be a one off exhaust this though. If there is enough interest I may look at it getting them made, wont be cheap though being titanium.

I might be interested depending on price and the size of the back box, if its any bigger than a hks ti it wont fit with my undertray.