The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspenion still knocking

markybhoy86

i've had a look on here in the search and had a looked at everything but can't solve this bangin/knocking noise from the rear, i've had the suspenion sturts off and all stripped to check the bump stops, i've had a look at the bushes and all the bolts undernear- all tight. what else can it be? ive took everything out the boot as well, the boot rubbers have been changed but no difference.

it happens when i go over a group of small bumps, somtimes when i hit a large pothole i get a loud thud but doesn't happen all the time- its both sides.

M

what you mean suspension legs? the shocks?

i've never felt it through the floor, can only hear it, sounds nasty

Yes the full suspension leg I meant, In my car I can feel every bump through my spine, There is no bounce I spent quite abit of money taking it in garages and no-one could find the problem till I took it to Dann on here he found the problem straight away.

Guest barkdog23

I had this problem with my n/a supra, i like you checked every thing at the rear of the car. and in the end i put it down to the

rear struts. I decided to upgrade them for the billstine Turbo Shocks and since these were fitted i dont get any knocks or clicking sounds from the rear of the car, its as quiet as can be.

I have something sounding much like this. I havent been able to explain it either. Also only from the rear. Started as being just one side but have spread to both. Its definately in the wheel arch and not related to the diff or axles as far as I can figure. Also my knock only lets itself be heard when its wet. After a wash or in the rain. I can't feel anything wrong, its just a sound. I havent been able to reproduce it either. I have a feeling its got something to do with the drop links/anti-roll bar but I'm far from sure.

I had this problem with my n/a supra, i like you checked every thing at the rear of the car. and in the end i put it down to the

rear struts. I decided to upgrade them for the billstine Turbo Shocks and since these were fitted i dont get any knocks or clicking sounds from the rear of the car, its as quiet as can be.

That`s exactly what cured mine as well.

Did you find the tt bilstiens lifted the car a little?

Other things i went through were all the rear bushings, balljoints upper and lower, subframe torque, boot rubbers, check arb as well.

ive just got back from a drive and have found that i have got the same problem. strangely though it doesnt make a noise over every bump but when it does its coming from the rear passenger side. would it cause any problems if i carried on using it for my daily journey of 36miles for the rest of the week without causing any damage?

it isn't the exhaust i've been under the motor and gave that a good bounce around, i've changed the drop links, that was the first thing i done. i've checked the subframe there all fine as well. anyone have a drawing of al lthe bushes at the rear i can check- so i don't miss any...cheers

M

I had the same problem, the car is with ToyotaGT at the moment, and they think they've found the issue. My rear anti roll bar was in the wrong position - so one end of it was rubbing / knocking against another part of the suspension.

Not sure how that could have happened but hopefully all my noises are gone now!

quick Checklist :-

1. No loose tools etc etc in boot :blink:

2. Rear hatch rubbers

3. exhaust mounting

4. Electric Areil Mounting

5. Rear Strut Top mounts

6. Leaking or worn shock absorber

7. Loose/badly mounted coil Spring

8. Upper suspension Arm 2x inner bushes 1x outter ball joint

9. Lower suspension arm No.2 1x inner bush 1x outter bush 1xball joint

10. Lower suspension arm No.1x inner bush 1x outter ball joint

11. Strut Rod 1x ball joint

12 ARB drop links

13. ARB mounting Rubbers

14 Rear Subframe mounting Bolts (check torque)

15. rear diff mounting