The mkiv Supra Owners Club

un even suspension

dr_jekyll

A lot (if not all stock) MKIVs are lower at the drivers side. I've got no idea why though. Mine is about 20mm in difference. They guy importing most supras to Denmark (through Jurgen) have noticed the same thing with a lot of them and it's always lower on the right side, even though if its a EU left hand drive... I cant figure it either.

I talked to Toyota about it, and they told me its a common thing for cars in general. I don't buy that one though. If you can put a man on the moon you can also make a car ride at the same height in each side...

Best place to measure the difference is from the center of the hub to the lower edge of the wheel arch. Of cause when the car is on even ground.

But the question remains open. My suspension is not stock though, but its brand new.

Mine's slightly lower on the drives side as well but that's on Tein Superstreets, not 35mm difference though, 5-10mm maybe. I remember there was a thread on this. Would his drivers side suspension be softer it was knackered? I've never had problems with suspension before. If it was sitting lower and not broken I would've expected it to be a harder ride if anything since there's less room for the shock to move.

Mine's slightly lower on the drives side as well but that's on Tein Superstreets, not 35mm difference though, 5-10mm maybe. I remember there was a thread on this. Would his drivers side suspension be softer it was knackered? I've never had problems with suspension before. If it was sitting lower and not broken I would've expected it to be a harder ride if anything since there's less room for the shock to move.

If it was a knackered damper it should either be visible by leaking or at least be softer or a lot bouncier. That why I have new suspension, the old one went in the front. When it did, I still had the difference in height though...

As far as I can see, its not due to the spring or damper being wound tighter. Looks to have same clearances but havent measured though.

The guy I mentioned importing a lot of supras tried to balance it our with a heigh adjustable suspension on his EU spec at point. No luck. I don't know why it didn't work though.

Also, jack the car up, get in behind the wheel and lift up the rubber damper protection and check the condition of the bump stoppers. If they are completely squashed, then your suspension is gone.

But this is not related to the car being lower in the drivers side. Its just more apparent with a knackered suspension. It would be really interesting to find our why (im guessing here) 50% of supras are lower on the right hand side..

i have bounced the car both sides and there dose seem to be a bit more travel in the drivers side but its not over bouncy , took it doen a up and down contry lane and its felt fine , it jus realy bugs me that one side is so mutch lower than the other i think im going to have to get fully adjutables to level it up before it starts driving me mad

• 1 year later...

well im bringing this tread back because to try and remidy this problem i have ;

fitten new front springs and dampers,

replaced the fron top and bottom wishbones,

allowd the car to sit before tightening the wishbones ,

had the chassis mesured up and searched for stress or damage (all fine)

and still the drivers side is lower that the passingers side?????>

to get the car to sit level i have to hve the drivers side ride height sdjuster halfway up and the passinger side is 3 rings from the bottom and im guessing that cant be good for handleing having one damper further compressed than the other so im now completely out of ideas and a few hundred punds down for nothing.

any other ideas anyone?

thanks guys. i have justv taken it to fix auto in cardiff and had the chassis checked and a full geo done .

the chassis is fine spot on . the rears were bang on but the front was "all to cock" lol

after half hour playing around the car is now sitting pretty the the front is lined up perfect and it feelos great driving it .

the nearside was sill 8mm higher than the drivers side but 3 twist extra on the adjuster and it level, i can live with the one damper being 3-4 thread bars lower to even it up but before it was well over an inch.

aparently both fronts were set too far back causing my twitchy turn in. and they were both toieng out .

im happy now , just the new cam belt and my map from ryan g and im happy;)

It would be really interesting to find our why (im guessing here) 50% of supras are lower on the right hand side..

Think about how many journeys a car makes with someone in the passenger seat, 25%, 50%? Now consider the number of journeys a car makes with someone in the driver's seat. I would hope this number is approaching 100%!

Each journey made will ever so slightly plastically deform (due to creep) the springs, in the case of only 1 occupant (the driver) there will be uneven deformation. Over time, the drivers springs will end up shorter than the passenger side springs, making the drivers side lower.