The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speed awareness course?

JamieP

depends where you get caught i think. i only had sheffield barnsley or rotherham to pick from as i got done in sheffield at xmas. I could choose other places but they were somewhere daft like liverpool or devon :S

I hope they ask you about your driving history. I can picture everyone sat in a circle AA style and jamie standing up and listing off all the cars he has owned :p

Consider your self very lucky, speeding in 30 limits is indefensible.:no: Should have been 6 points.

No excuse, but id just had a call saying the wife was going into labour and had that on my mind, i pass the very speed camera about 10 times a day and cant belive i forgot about it, they offered me 3 points or speed awareness course.

I did one a year ago. 48 in a 40 and had a four hour session in the classroom.

All I would say is go with an open mind and be prepared to learn a bit. The instructors are really skilled and can help you be a better driver. Dont get sidetracked into the whole speeding issue and all the politics. They dont want to know and it is destructive for you and the course as a whole.

Sit there, listen, take part and be prepared to own up to yourself about how much your own driving standards have fallen. If you do that you will come away and still speed but you will think a bit more about it when you do and it will slow you down in certain circumstances.

At the end of the day it was an expensive, inconvenient and slightly embarrassing experience but no where near as bad as putting a kid in a coma because you could not stop in time.

In the letter it say 4 hours?

My mate went on one, he's a bit of a petrolhead, he found the course very enlightening & took a lot away from it. They're not condescending at all & are just trying to educate you on the consequences of your speed, not give you an ear bashing for 4 hours

I did one a year ago. 48 in a 40 and had a four hour session in the classroom.

All I would say is go with an open mind and be prepared to learn a bit. The instructors are really skilled and can help you be a better driver. Dont get sidetracked into the whole speeding issue and all the politics. They dont want to know and it is destructive for you and the course as a whole.

Sit there, listen, take part and be prepared to own up to yourself about how much your own driving standards have fallen. If you do that you will come away and still speed but you will think a bit more about it when you do and it will slow you down in certain circumstances.

At the end of the day it was an expensive, inconvenient and slightly embarrassing experience but no where near as bad as putting a kid in a coma because you could not stop in time.

:thumbs:

Why don't they send you on higher level driving courses instead and increas your driving ability to make the roads safer, instead of telling you how speeding causes global warming and cancer?

I'd take the course... Better than points tbf.

I think you missed part of the point. On the course I did (Thames Valley) apart from the danger to yourself and others the only other issue touched on was the cost to you the driver in increased wear and tear, petrol, insurance. It was rather good and overall I was impressed by them and dare I say it - everyone should go on a similar course every ten years.

It shocked me to think that the last time anyone assessed me as a driver was a quarter of a century ago! In that time I had become over confident and needed a reality check.

A friend of mine was a counsellor/facilitator on one of these. Can't remeber exactly what goes on, but yeah, I'm sure it lasts at least four hours. I think there is usually a lot of young men on these courses and they chat about what cars they drive. You might even enjoy it Jamie, or some of it. :)

Guest dangerousandy
haha, Some police, in fact all police I have met have been very cool.

Only the traffic cops........ I have been let off every time by them. Local pigs and CID are cnuts.........