The mkiv Supra Owners Club

engine power increase at higher revs? . . .

SUPRA-JDB

hi, just a quick question, i own a J-Spec 3.0 N/A 1995. when accelerating hard it pulls well then at around 5000 RPM its asif their is some sort of VVTI or VTEC cut in, as you get a second influx of power. although i thought only the later spec engines had VVTI?. anyone shed abit of light on this?

Until someone with proper knowledge comes on and shows me up; I think it's to do with the fancy plenum chamber that was an innovation at the time. When you get to 5k RPM, something mysterious and arcane happens, giving you another boost of power. It happens around 3.5k RPM too.

You don't have to understand it to enjoy it. :D

Variable intake length, a butterfly valve opens to change the plenum volume, to aid resonance tuning at a higher RPM, and vice versa. Toyota have long been advocates of it.

I thought it was variable cam timing ? (sure ive seen that in the toyota manual), or is that teh same as your fancy wording above ?

My N/A does this also by the way, but mine at about 4.5K.

Variable intake length, a butterfly valve opens to change the plenum volume, to aid resonance tuning at a higher RPM, and vice versa. Toyota have long been advocates of it.

yep celica's use it to, short intake runners make good top end at the expense of bottom end and vise versa link to T-VIS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-VIS and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Control_Induction_System

Edited by paul mac (see edit history)

5k does sound a bit high. Mine comes in at 4 / 4.5k

The further away from the intended switch point you are the more you will feel it. In theory you could make the changeover completely un-noticable, but Toyota like to make you experience it.

There may be something very slightly up with your variable intake system, such as a lazy valve or something similar.

I've always wondered what that feeling was! I didn't realise it was plenum related! I used to have a Prelude 2.2 Vtec and when the Vtec kicked in you really felt it! Real nice engines. Then I got the Supra and had that 'kick' effect, but never asked questions, just enjoyed it! :D

I've always wondered what that feeling was! I didn't realise it was plenum related! I used to have a Prelude 2.2 Vtec and when the Vtec kicked in you really felt it! Real nice engines. Then I got the Supra and had that 'kick' effect, but never asked questions, just enjoyed it! :D

The kick in a prelude is the vtec at 5k2, that changes the cam lobe to a more aggressive one with more lift and duration at a certain rpm(5k2 in the case of the H22) the prelude will also have what the na supra has though, which is two sets of intake runners, in the prelude it is controlled by vacuum and changes before vtec at about 4k something, it doesn't really make a performance change in the prelude, it just changes the sound, you do notice a huge difference when you disconnect the vacuum hose from the actuator though as it looses all the low end as would the supra probably.

The kick in a prelude is the vtec at 5k2, that changes the cam lobe to a more aggressive one with more lift and duration at a certain rpm(5k2 in the case of the H22) the prelude will also have what the na supra has though, which is two sets of intake runners, in the prelude it is controlled by vacuum and changes before vtec at about 4k something, it doesn't really make a performance change in the prelude, it just changes the sound, you do notice a huge difference when you disconnect the vacuum hose from the actuator though as it looses all the low end as would the supra probably.

Good to know :D