The mkiv Supra Owners Club

US Plane crash lands on the Hudson river.

merckx

i thought planes couldnt land on water

They're not really designed to! But can just about do it in the right conditions. Normally the engines get ripped off which can sever the wings resulting in the fuselage flipping and a huge fireball. It's extremely rare that one has made it without a large loss of life.

I thought planes could fly with one engine? Couldn't he have got it somewhere better? Like an airport?

Maybe reading the story will answer my question!

//edit: Poor info from work colleagues, it seems it's an A320, so doesn't have 4 engines, and BOTH engines were taken out by birds - that makes it the worlds biggest glider!!

An ex-fighter pilot, with a 40 year flying career, and so much knowledge on the subject. From the little bit I have read on line, he scrubbed loads off his air-speed, and kept the nose up for as long as possible so that the engines would not be ripped off, or cause the nose to dip and bring the plane underwater.

This guy is a true hero and deserves every accolade.

His name: Chesley Sullenberger The Third.

I feel for the geese that allegedly took the engines out though, along with the person that broke both of their legs.

The co-pilot needs biggin' up too.

An ex-fighter pilot, with a 40 year flying career, and so much knowledge on the subject. From the little bit I have read on line, he scrubbed loads off his air-speed, and kept the nose up for as long as possible so that the engines would not be ripped off, or cause the nose to dip and bring the plane underwater.

This guy is a true hero and deserves every accolade.

His name: Chesley Sullenberger The Third.

I feel for the geese that allegedly took the engines out though, along with the person that broke both of their legs.

The co-pilot needs biggin' up too.

Well done the co-pilot. :)

I thought planes could fly with one engine? Couldn't he have got it somewhere better? Like an airport?

Maybe reading the story will answer my question!

//edit: Poor info from work colleagues, it seems it's an A320, so doesn't have 4 engines, and BOTH engines were taken out by birds - that makes it the worlds biggest glider!!

Might not have made much difference if it had more engines. I believe this happened on climbout - i.e. just after takeoff when the aircraft at close to maximum power, trying to get airspeed and altitude. If a jet suffers an engine problem of any kind during this part of the flight it can be very tricky indeed.

Might not have made much difference if it had more engines. I believe this happened on climbout - i.e. just after takeoff when the aircraft at close to maximum power, trying to get airspeed and altitude. If a jet suffers an engine problem of any kind during this part of the flight it can be very tricky indeed.

Furry muff, I must read more of the OP before commenting in future.

Guest V1 rotate V2

Congrats to captain Sully and his crew.

I still can't believe what a great job the entire crew did, especially in such a short period of time. Well done the Cabin Crew for not letting the rear doors get opened in a ditching too.

Does anyone remember the Air Ethiopia Boeing 767-260 hijacking (1996) where the perps' demanded the aircraft be piloted all the way to Australia? That didn't end so well and is more a kin to the outcome of a ditching that i would expect - ie it folded like paper.

Like Carl S said, it seems absolute piloting skill saved all 150 pax on board as a resultant double engine failure during the critical phases of flight would be a worst nightmare scenario in such a heavily populated and built up area.

Maverick and Goose, you got nothing on these guys :salute: