The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is this part? chevy engine small block

scooby_doo_do

Just a curious question, i'm trying to find out a part of my current ultima engine and what it is. Found this picture on the web, the part i want to know about has got the sticker on it.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2938338390054440533CnZmFj

I think it's the water pump. Reason i'm asking is i've found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Edelbrock-Water-Pump-Small-Block-Chevy-V8_W0QQitemZ270329129141QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item270329129141&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

and i'm wondering if it'll fit?

I'm also trying to find out about the engine, as i don't know anything about it.. It's a ZZ4 engine, whatever that is? Here's the code's i've found on it..

Engine Number V0624ZZ4

F 20 0 and 3970010

Thanks

Craig.

cool - It's just mine's looking a bit worn and out of place with all the chrome in the engine bay - and quite like the look of that one on ebay...

Would i be able to tell what cam's the car's got from looking under the rocker covers? (As in would they have any specific markings on for race one's etc?)

I'm doing all the bits on the car whilst the weather's bad..

So far i've fitted some original Ultima seats, new OMP steering wheel, New horn (It was so embarresing having a horn from a moped) and the rocker cover gaskets. I've played with the holley carb a little and found out how to use the choke on it, and tidied up the wiring for the headlights. And i'm sending off the exhausts to be chromed.

After working on the Omega, i feel quite mechanically minded to tackle the water pump myself, but i'll probably chicken out and take it somewhere i trust. (This is providing i win it!)

Thanks

Craig.

Can you get the part number for that ebay water pump? It'd be easier to reference that to your block rather than the other way round.

I couldn't find much about the block from the number apart from it was a common block used by Chevy between '69 and '79, came in 2 and 4 bolt main. There's a high performance and regular block, 010 stamp near the old filter means it's regular, 020 means its a high nickel block.

The cam will normally have a part number stamped on them, but on the sbc the cam isn't under the rocker cover (they are not OHC engines)

Thanks Homer :-)

This is the stamp by the filter F 20 0 - High nickel block then, whatever that is..

Cam's - Boo - no easy way to find out then.. I'm still going to take a look under the rocker cover's to see what's under there :-) when i change the gaskets tonight..

Water Pump - I beleive the model code is 8811

Thanks for your help Homer - Much appreciated.

Thanks Homer :-)

This is the stamp by the filter F 20 0 - High nickel block then, whatever that is..

Cam's - Boo - no easy way to find out then.. I'm still going to take a look under the rocker cover's to see what's under there :-) when i change the gaskets tonight..

Water Pump - I beleive the model code is 8811

Thanks for your help Homer - Much appreciated.

Yep, 8811 is the 'long style' wp for the 350 of your model year. Found plenty of references to it matching up to a ZZ4 block: http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/edelbrock-3483/water-pumps-2008-19303/page-2.html

Cool :-) Thanks..

Just got to hope the chap will deliver it for me, or i can get it picked up by courier. Quite fancy that now..

Now all i need to do is find someone who can tune the holley carb's... It's got a Holley 650 CFM four barrel Part #0-4777C

Model 4150 - Looking at all the documentation i've got with it and the number's on it :)

Cool - Just been looking through some books that came with the car (chevy small block parts interchange manual and how to rebuild your small block chevy) and noticed the chap who built the car has highlighted several things....

Casting number: 3972110

Model year: 1970

Engine/Application: 350/360, 370hp Camero, LT1 Vette, AL, Hirise, Holley.

I've also noticed that he's stuck a tick by the "4" bolt main bearing cap design..

so it's a 4 bolt by the looks of it.. :-)

Cool - Just been looking through some books that came with the car (chevy small block parts interchange manual and how to rebuild your small block chevy) and noticed the chap who built the car has highlighted several things....

Casting number: 3972110

Model year: 1970

Engine/Application: 350/360, 370hp Camero, LT1 Vette, AL, Hirise, Holley.

I've also noticed that he's stuck a tick by the "4" bolt main bearing cap design..

so it's a 4 bolt by the looks of it.. :-)

It was also made in the Flint engine factory so it'll be a new Hi Performance block rather than one actually from the 70's. It's a great engine and has bags of potential (The block is good for 700+ bhp ). They are a good engine for modding and running high power. With the carb you have on there I'd be very surprised if it's running a stock cam and valvetrain, if it's is stock then you have potential for a LOT more easy horses :D A big lumpy cam and uprated springs could get as much as 60 more bhp.

cool - Quite chuffed now. Found out a bit about the engine, that i didn't know before.

Here's a clip of it when i started it up the other week for the first time in 3 weeks - I do start it up every week and make sure it moves etc.. Just waiting for the steering wheel plate to come back from the laser cutter's and then i can drive it.

http://tripkings.co.uk/ultima.avi (44mb)

I won the bid for the water pump, so going to try and fit that myself.... I'm feeling quite confident it won't be that hard..

Tried to fit the rocker cover gaskets, but one of the bolt's it obscured by the exhaust - so i've got to remove that as well... Leave that for another day.

Plumbed in the accumate battery charger and extended through the bulkhead. Found the battery is a Varley Red Top 40..