The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is dyslexia a myth?

Charlotte

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One test we came across, used coloured filters that were placed over text. By careful analysis of a child's responses, it was possible to identify a colour filter that would make the text easier to read.We found a very enlightened optician who made glasses for the children. Other kid thought the dyslexic kids were so cool with their funky coloured lenses.

Some of the lads i had extra lessons with when i was small used filters like that. That kind of thing doesnt affect me though so it just make the text darker and harder to read lol.

I was suprised when i checked the site i posted that lists the famous people with it. i knew of some of them but it seems anyone important or famous from history had it. lol

I'm quite badly dyslexic I can't read or write great but big deal I can draw a picture that tells a thousand words and I'm told I’m the one who has a disability.

If you can't read or write doesn't mean you dyslexic it's a lot more complicated than that. Most dyslexic people have an above average intelligence and this is how it was spotted in children. It just seem that if you can't read or write your dyslexic now a days which is making it harder for people who do really have it.

I'm quite badly dyslexic I can't read or write great but big deal I can draw a picture that tells a thousand words and I'm told I’m the one who has a disability.

If you can't read or write doesn't mean you dyslexic it's a lot more complicated than that. Most dyslexic people have an above average intelligence and this is how it was spotted in children. It just seem that if you can't read or write your dyslexic now a days which is making it harder for people who do really have it.

Exatly. My reading or writing isnt great and as i have said i find some letters and words confusing. My mental arithmatic is rubbish also. But im very spacialy aware. Ive lost count of the number of times ive been somewhere in the supe like Ikea and the girlfriend has said "this wont fit in the car" and when we get down there it goes strait in with only minor jiggleing. Same with wheels and tyres. Most people seem to think getting 4 wheels and tyres in is difficult, when i did it i just looked at it and went "no that will be easy" Im the same with those little brain teaser block toy things you get at christmas. I also seem more artistic in the ways i think things through. I often have to draw things out before doing them although i have it in my head i find it easier to see the picture :)

Exatly. My reading or writing isnt great and as i have said i find some letters and words confusing. My mental arithmatic is rubbish also. But im very spacialy aware. Ive lost count of the number of times ive been somewhere in the supe like Ikea and the girlfriend has said "this wont fit in the car" and when we get down there it goes strait in with only minor jiggleing. Same with wheels and tyres. Most people seem to think getting 4 wheels and tyres in is difficult, when i did it i just looked at it and went "no that will be easy" Im the same with those little brain teaser block toy things you get at christmas. I also seem more artistic in the ways i think things through. I often have to draw things out before doing them although i have it in my head i find it easier to see the picture :)

You would make a great designer. Do you want a job?

Surely that's exactly what you aren't being told. The researchers who are questioning dyslexia as a distinct 'condition' are arguing that the only function it fulfils is avoiding labelling people as 'reading impaired' or other such labels that people want to avoid.

Look at it this way. In years gone by, people who couldn't read were regarded as being thick, were told that they were and treated as if they were.

We now know that intelligence and ability to learn reading/writing are NOT linked in a straightforward way. Some people have real problems learning reading/writing because it's part of their general cognitive problems - they are just dense. Let's call them group A. But for others, they have difficulties only in that specific area - let's call them group B. Nobody on either side of the debate is denying this basic truth.

Researchers and educationalists have proposed that there is this distinct subgroup called dyslexics, which mainly -but not always - seem to correspond with group B. But the academic objection here seems to be a lack of agreement about what constitutes a dyslexic person and what is the best way of helping people with dyslexia. This has led other researchers, more recently, to question if it's a useful idea at all.

It is worth examining closely, because as things stand, a diagnosis - as Phil points out - can be a passport towards help that other kids having difficulties with reading don't get. If it turns out that (a) the tests don't tell us anything other than 'this is a kid who is bright but has problems reading' (b) that dyslexics need extra input that is substantially the same as other kids with reading problems but is sensitive enough to take account of a kid's general level of intelligence, then what use is the term?

I can understand why some are very defensive about the label, because in the past, the only alternative was to be labelled as thick. Nobody wants to be lumped in with 'group A'. This is why people like Prof. Julian What's-his face have been saying that it fulfils a sociological function, but not necessarily a scientific one.

Interesting. I'm exactly the opposite. I love words and writing. I find it easy to remember the opening and final lines of books I haven't read for years. I do commit frequent typos, but I find it very easy to spot written errors on a page. Conversely, my spatial reasoning is so poor that it probably has a label ;). I absolutely cannot parallel park or judge distances. When driving, I often get lost, sometimes on quite familiar routes. And if I have to get a sofa through a tight doorway, I call Mrs. T, who will figure it out in an instant.

You know, following on from my earlier post and Guigsy's comment about spatial awareness,

I also have this knack of being able to locate and fit things without really thinking about it, but one thing i have noticed over the last few years is my route finding/map reading seems to have deteriorated,

It was once very good, i just didn't get lost and had a great sense of direction.

Now whether this is down to me, or my inability to interpret the current style of road signs, I'm not sure, but its a little worrying.:(

You would make a great designer. Do you want a job?

Yeah, sure what would i be designing? :D im jobless atm :p

I did want to be an architecht but after work experiance in one i found it boring but that was because i didnt know what i was doing. Then i found out the qualifications you needed to become one and the grades you needed to achieve that, which then counted me out. I was a C grade student at best. Even if i spent hours revising the best i could ever manage was a C.

I often think of things i would like to do to the car. Like a nice boot build that still lets me use the boot with a little storage locker for car washing kit etc. Ive planned it out in my head but i lack the technical knowledge of how to actualy build it.

A while ago i adapted a 2 guage pillar mount with a 3rd pod for a afr guage with fibreglass all by myself just to learn how to use it. It took me ages to get an nice finish etc that looked like the other pods. Since then ive played with the idea of making a custome bumper out of a couple of others and even mocked it up in photoshop but then it crashed before i saved it so have given up. Typical eh? :p

I think a lot of people who have difficulty spelling or reading put it down to dyslexia when perhaps they are just not good at that task. I'm crap at drawing, I don't get a label for that. I think its become almost popular to say you have something that makes you different - like ADD. Thats not to say a lot of people genuingly suffer with these things, I just think there are a lot of people that see a few symptons that fit and hey presto they have that condition.

I feel sick and uncomfortable if I walk on cracks, or squares on carpets, if I tap something I have to do it in pairs, I have a bad memory, I don't think its a condition, its just part of my character. I guess it comes down to determining what is part of the normal strengths/weaknesses swing and at what point a 'weakness' becomes a medical condition.

I think a lot of people who have difficulty spelling or reading put it down to dyslexia when perhaps they are just not good at that task. I'm crap at drawing, I don't get a label for that. I think its become almost popular to say you have something that makes you different - like ADD. Thats not to say a lot of people genuingly suffer with these things, I just think there are a lot of people that see a few symptons that fit and hey presto they have that condition.

Well said sir. I agree. I can't tie knots for the life of me. No matter how much I try, if I don't do it every day, I just forget how to do it (i.e. where each bit of rope has to go next). I know I'm cr*p at tying knots, so I either get someone else to do it, or get help every time I need to do it.

Edit: although having difficulty reading and writing is obviously more of a hindrance in everyday life than not being able to tie knots.

I feel sick and uncomfortable if I walk on cracks, or squares on carpets, if I tap something I have to do it in pairs, I have a bad memory, I don't think its a condition, its just part of my character. I guess it comes down to determining what is part of the normal strengths/weaknesses swing and at what point a 'weakness' becomes a medical condition.

That's a bit of OCD I think.

I think you will find that in general thats why people who have a genuine problem, get a diagnosis! and the others just say they have a problem.

So this then broaches the question, are the so called professional people who do the diagnosing really qualified to do so? or or they are they just conning people?

Unfortunately you can turn this whole scenario to a lot of professions;):p

Yeah, sure what would i be designing? :D im jobless atm :p

I did want to be an architecht but after work experiance in one i found it boring but that was because i didnt know what i was doing. Then i found out the qualifications you needed to become one and the grades you needed to achieve that, which then counted me out. I was a C grade student at best. Even if i spent hours revising the best i could ever manage was a C.

I often think of things i would like to do to the car. Like a nice boot build that still lets me use the boot with a little storage locker for car washing kit etc. Ive planned it out in my head but i lack the technical knowledge of how to actualy build it.

A while ago i adapted a 2 guage pillar mount with a 3rd pod for a afr guage with fibreglass all by myself just to learn how to use it. It took me ages to get an nice finish etc that looked like the other pods. Since then ive played with the idea of making a custome bumper out of a couple of others and even mocked it up in photoshop but then it crashed before i saved it so have given up. Typical eh? :p

OK, being a designer needs qualifications but I know a lot of designers who are not what you would call 'brainy' but they are tremendously creative. Creativity is something that cannot be taught. You are either visually and spacially gifted or you are not. If you have the gift it can be developed but if you don't its a dead duck. Dont give up on your ability, seek it out and develop it. Try looking at courses in modelmaking (for industry, theatre, exhibition, patternmaking) or even courses in CAD design and visualisation. Think about game design and animation as an option as well. The world is your oyster.

You down with OCD (Yeah you know me)

Who's down with OCD (Every last homie)

You down with OCD (Yeah you know me) 3X

Who's down with OCD (All the homies) .

:innocent: