The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Turbo - Oil filter in oil feed line?

dandan

That's correct Phil - I will be coming off the block in dash 6 to the filter and then from the filter to the turbo in dash 3.

I'm not sure on any pressure drop yet - I can test that when I get it but would need to know the flowrate to test it at first. The thing weighs 1kg so it isn't exactly small - I anticipate a negligible pressure drop....and may be less concerned about potential pressure drop than others as I will be running a DBB cartridge anyway.

Edited by dandan
Terrible grammar (see edit history)

I'm not 100% familiar with the oil route "post filtering" in the 2JZ block Chris.

Is there a direct gallery through the block to either of the turbo feeds straight from the filtered side of the filter...where there's zero chance of picking up any debris?

Edit: I do have a spare block so I can check this out but right now I am immobile and I was also ordering all my Earls parts so it was quick decision time for a quick shipping deal to be honoured. :)

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

I know all the feeds are filtered but what I don't know if if the 2JZ has a dedicated gallery that runs from the filter purely to the turbo oil feeds on the side of the block. If it does then I agree it's a waste......I assumed that this is not the case.

I wanted a "rock catcher" in place in case any debris got created in the engine (post filter) and found its way to the turbo. If I had some sort of engine failure it would be nice to have a chance of salvaging the turbo at least. I agree that if there is a dedicated gallery feed then this can't happen.

As far as the temp question - if I find out it isn't then it will go back as it is sold as an oil filter for this kind of purpose. I can run it for a few hundred hours at pretty much any temp and flowrate I need to and see how it performs if I'm left with any doubts.

For anyone who's interested:

The filter has a 140micron mesh. From what I can remember, most regular oil filters will advertise as capable of catching particles in the 5-30 micron range but in reality will pass an awful lot of material well over 40 microns. Don't get the wrong impression though - as a sole oil filter for engine oil this item would be a very bad choice - the mesh is reasonably coarse by modern filter standards and would not provide adequate protection.

As a rock catcher the 140 micron good enough for what I want - helping to prevent irreparable and immediate turbo bearing damage as a result of an engine failure. If I wanted to get more into it then I can drop the mesh size as long as it doesn't drop too much pressure but I can't really be bothered with that! :D

However - I'm not sure it's worth it now if either turbo feed is isolated all the way from the main filter....

Impressive, what do you do for a living/how come you have such facilities (if you don't mind me asking!)? :)

I design stuff :)

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

I wouldn't worry, in the case of engine failure, it's the chunks of piston, valve, rings etc exiting via your exhaust wheel that'll wreck the turbo, not anything in the oil.

-Ian

Unless I spin a shell or something similar equally less catastrophic than spitting a piston.

I've bought it now so unless it drops masses of pressure then I'll stick it in....

Dan, pressure drop is a moot point I believe mate as you mentioned in a previous post. Its a -3AN that your going to connect to the turbo, but the turbo is DBB so their is the restrictor in that fitting so your going WAY smaller than a -3 in reality.

if that makes sense... lol.. i have had a long day at the office and its still not time to go home :(

I mean i dont see the need for the filter....but it wont cause any restrictions to the DBB turbo.

I would check to see if their is any temperature warnings on it. Like must not be over certain degrees? Cause the oil temp will be considerablly higher than any fuel that it was probably designed for.

Other than mate, no harm in trying it ;-)

I would check to see if their is any temperature warnings on it. Like must not be over certain degrees? Cause the oil temp will be considerablly higher than any fuel that it was probably designed for.

Other than mate, no harm in trying it ;-)

It's sold as an oil filter. The fuel filters have a finer mesh down to about 30 microns....thse I am not sure about temperature limits!

Unless I spin a shell or something similar equally less catastrophic than spitting a piston.

I've bought it now so unless it drops masses of pressure then I'll stick it in....

If you get enough shrapnel in the oil to wreck the turbo bearings I'd imagine every other bearing surface stands a chance of being dead as well :shrug:

Is it, perchance, anodised and shiny ;)

If I had some sort of engine failure it would be nice to have a chance of salvaging the turbo at least.

If you get enough shrapnel in the oil to wreck the turbo bearings I'd imagine every other bearing surface stands a chance of being dead as well :shrug:

We agree.

Is it, perchance, anodised and shiny ;)

Unfortunately it's blue - a black one would have been ideal to match all the black Anotuff fittings. Fortunately it will be tucked out of sight so it won't stand out as a blue beacon!! :D

I'm wondering if the pressure drop might be an issue. The restrictor is there to stop the DBB cartridge getting too much oil, but does it also form a spray mist effect or something? That the bearings need? Would this be affected by dropping the pressure earlier in the line? I've no idea :) Anyone got a schematic of the DBB cartridge?

-Ian