The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stiff door locks vs graphite powder?

chp03bcd

I have seen a couple of posts where people have stiff door locks and are advised to use graphite powder rather than an oil based lubricant to free them up. I seem to have developed the same problem with my locks and was wondering whether the graphite powder solution suggested was effective. I need to sort something out before i snap the key off!

I have used graphite powder on numerous locks including car doors. It can work wonders. The big plus is it will not allow other crap to stick to it unlike oil. PTF sprays in a alcohol carrier are pretty good to. I use carb cleaner to wet the key a quick dip in graphite powder then swiftly into the lock, go easy with pressure on the key, it may require several applications.

I do my locks once a year with graphite as a precaution.