The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Please sign this petition.

imi

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't understand the 'this forum isn't the place' arguments. If the 'off topic' area is not an area for off topic conversation then where is. It is nice to be able to discuss (even fall out) over interesting topics. Its a political issue of great significance for many people. People who come tot he car forum for the car discussions have every other part of the forum to chat.... and lets be honest this is a club and in clubs people chat about other things than cars.... wouldn't be much of a club if we could only talk about the Supra.

Agreed

What I don't like about the off topic section is that its always the same people putting the 'help the repressed state/race/person' threads all of which follow the same lines*. I don't see Martin, Rob or Daryll starting such threads.

*I note imi has tried not to in this case but somehow it has ended this way due to the usual culprits.

'The usual culprits' appear on both sides of the debate, do they not? For example, Paul has a bell in his house that is triggered by the word 'immigrant' appearing in a thread ;) ; you're always around on human rights related threads - as am I...and so on.

I guess what you are saying is that certain people have a habit of ruining a perfectly good thread by dragging - let's say - state repression of XYZ into it. But I can't see how you can have your first argument about it being good to debate without accepting that these views are going to come into it.

I'm not sure what relevance Martin, Darryl and Rob's thread-starting habits have, but I guess background information is always useful.

Agreed

Good :D

'The usual culprits' appear on both sides of the debate, do they not? For example, Paul has a bell in his house that is triggered by the word 'immigrant' appearing in a thread ;) ; you're always around on human rights related threads - as am I...and so on..

Yep :)

As for the bit about me, posters moaning about repression etc is like a red rag to my bull. I dont have much sympathy having seen the way the 'minorities' in my area make everyone elses lives miserable whilst claiming repression etc

I guess what you are saying is that certain people have a habit of ruining a perfectly good thread by dragging - let's say - state repression of XYZ into it. But I can't see how you can have your first argument about it being good to debate without accepting that these views are going to come into it. ..

True... I'm contradicting myself but I refer to below.

I'm not sure what relevance Martin, Darryl and Rob's thread-starting habits have, but I guess background information is always useful.

Just that its the same people who start these type of threads and that they always put the same slant on it which in my opinion always appears to be the minority's opinion. I view Martin, Darryl, Rob, Charlotte, Dave... etc... as not representing that minority. The names of the people are not really the important part, they were simply trying to underline the point.

Which Rob?

You. When did you last start a thread like this? - which having made 21k posts is quite impressive

The only reason I check in on this thread is that it has potential to turn into a right old bitching match and someone getting banned. As for it's real content I really couldn't give two hoots.

And for the record I think if there's one subject that should be banned from this forum it's religion (or related subjects), it's the root of enough wars in the real world nevermind on this forum. When Religion related news comes on the TV I will turn over instantly.

And for the record I think if there's one subject that should be banned from this forum it's religion (or related subjects), it's the root of enough wars in the real world nevermind on this forum. When Religion related news comes on the TV I will turn over instantly.

:yeahthat:

The only reason I check in on this thread is that it has potential to turn into a right old bitching match and someone getting banned.

Compared to the Porsche forum I'm on (Rennlist) this place is tame by comparison. The Off Topic there is a scary place to go. It's a primarily American site, religion and politics are the main subjects - and by this point in the thread there would have been several people threatening to turn up with guns!

There are political forums?? :yawn:

I wonder if they have raging debates about which is better, the Supra or the Skyline ;)

There are indeed political forums. Many years ago I got into a flame war with some American dude who would not believe that I wasn't an American! No, really. Apparently knowing as much as I did about US politics meant (to him) that I must be American. People in Europe could have no real knowledge of the subject in his opinion.

As I didn't have a digi camera back then I couldn't prove to his satisfaction that I was in the UK! It was one of the more interesting threads that I've ever been involved with and the guy died recently still not believing me.:rolleyes:

The internet, eh. Full of nutters. :blink:

Compared to the Porsche forum I'm on (Rennlist) this place is tame by comparison. The Off Topic there is a scary place to go. It's a primarily American site, religion and politics are the main subjects - and by this point in the thread there would have been several people threatening to turn up with guns!

ROFL :D, sounds like a God awful place (except for the guns :D)

There are political forums?? :yawn:

I wonder if they have raging debates about which is better, the Supra or the Skyline ;)

LMFAO!!!

Originally Posted by jevansio

Totally agree, there is no right or wrong, but the point I was trying to make earlier is i dont think these sort of discussions ever have an outcome that is of benefit to anyone.. No one can ever agree.

I wasnt trying to upset people with my opinions saying I dont feel they belong on a car forum I was simply trying to say if i want to get involved in this sort of thing i will discuss it via related outlets such as the discussion forums on news sites etc that are reporting on these and similar issues.

I know i have a choice on what I read when I come to this site but when I signed up to this site and paid my membership i didnt expect everyone to be having political debates and having to be careful as not to offend anyones beliefs or oppinions. I was hoping to chat about cars and other various topics in a lighthearted manor, without arguments or upset, theres enough hate in the world without my "homepage" becoming a place where everyone is arguing!

Anyways, im just contributing to the fire by posting on this topic so I think that will be my last post on the matter. But, in the lightest way possible without intending any offence, i just dont see this topic proving anything of worth.

Hi TrickTT I was interested in learning from you, and if you have time, I would like your opinion on some of the points below.

1) Hamas publicly called for the destruction of Israel, did Israel ever publicly call for the annhilation of Palestine?

2)You say that Palestinians voted Hamas in. How do you know that the votes weren't rigged to tip the balance in favour of Hamas?

3) What were the other benefits of voting for Hamas, were there better prospects for kids, more chance of safer streets, for example?

4) Did the Palastinians vote for Hamas out of fear of Hamas, or without thinking of possible consequences?

5) Do you believe that the German civilian population deserved to die for voting Hitler in in 1933?

6) In the animal kingdom , if one troop of monkeys were pushed to a side off some land by reddish persecuted monkeys. If there was a head monkey above the two groups, could the original monkeys win a claim in a monkey court to have the land transferred back to them? If not why not. Also would the original monkey troop pine for the land that they were pushed from?

It's times like this that I think we are lucky not to live bordering on a country which seems to have radically opposing views on things. I mean it would be bad enough if we shared a border with France, let alone Egypt, Saudia arabia, Iran, or Palestine. Not that it would have happened, but imagine if the powers that be chose Wales as the new Jewish State after the WW2. Would not have been appropriate, due to the lack of bethlehem and many other sound reasons, but it maybe have been safer for the Jewish People.

I think Ewen makes a good point about reasoning.

Also, I find it very hard to see this country as one sponsoring acts of terrorism, and the same (but to a slightly lesser extent, America). But I do understand how other countries might see us as terrorists and not liberators. :(