The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gardeners? Im after some shrub knowledge

Aero-M

This year I intened to sort my garden out. Im going to grass most of it behind the pond and decking, upto my fence back and sides.

I would like some shrubs at the back of the garden, It is 25ft wide and they would need to grow slightly higher than the fence to stop the neighbours looking over. I would like something fast growing, and if possible pretty for most of the year, mainly summer though. What are my options?

There wil be an 8ft wide shed at the bottom of the garden, So how many shrubs would I need to fill up the remaining 17ft?

The problem with fast growing stuff is they need maintainence. Are you worried about having to trim them once or twice a year?

Also how long can you wait until they are fence high (presumably 6ft?). I've had varying results with a few, but the best ones have not been cheap to get a fast start on.

How wide and long is the border that the shrubs are going in and how much mainteance are you willing to give them?

Also, will they be overhanging the pond?

The garden is 25ft wide by about 40 long. I have decking at the back door and then a pond built on from this. The remainder of the garden is just grass/ messy boarders. about 25 x 20 ft. I would like it to be turfed for the children to play on, and just the shrubs at the back of the garden for looking nice and privacy.

The problem with fast growing stuff is they need maintainence. Are you worried about having to trim them once or twice a year?

Also how long can you wait until they are fence high (presumably 6ft?). I've had varying results with a few, but the best ones have not been cheap to get a fast start on.

Would like them to be fence high asap, I don't mind trimming them as im sure that will be easier than trying to keep the current garden tidy.

I would go for a mix ... maybe start with some Photinia Red Robin ... evergreen and grow reasonably quickly to a good height.

Then maybe mix in something like fosythia to get some early spring colour (also grow quickly to a good height) ...

Also, go for some cotoneasters (or similar) for the winter colour (orange is good) ...

If you just want a hedge ... then rather than something like leylandii go for Thuja's ... grow about 18" a year but can be cut without leaving deadwood everywhere.

:)