The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance & Number Plates

stuohy

Hi guys,

Need a bit of advice, as I am quite naive about all this...! In March, my Supra was involved in an accident. I reported this to my insurance company who duly recovered and assessed the vehicle. It was classed a write off. After much to-ing and fro-ing, I received an offer letter just after Christmas.

I had personalised number plates on the car when it was crashed. I have just rung the insurance company to get the number plates back, but was told that the car has already been sold. I rang the salvagers who told me that they auctioned the car in September. I am pretty sure that since I hadn't accepted (or even received) an offer, the car was still legally mine. I am now in the situation that I have lost my number plates which were an eighteenth birthday present from my parents.

Are the insurance company allowed to do this? And is there any way that I can get the plates back?

Any help, as ever, gratefully appreciated!

insurance companys do what they want, and there is nothing you can do about them..

Ive had a problem with them myself, Last year someone hit into the side of my car, when i got out to ask what she had done she was kicking off saying i had smashed into her NOT TRUE!, she ended up calling police because as i would not give her my insurance companys name.

When police arrived i ended up giving it up. I was not going to claim for my car because it was a banged up astra that cost me £250 quid. i just wanted to end the matter with this woman there and then. I went home and rang my insurance company and told them what had happend and i was not going to accept fault for this claim and that it was her at fault..

I left it a month and rang my insurance company up again to ask if she had tryed claiming on my insurance they told me they had heard nothing from her. I told them to get in contact with me if they hear anything from her. about 8 months later i got my renwal price for my insurance, It had gone up £1000 i rang them up and ask why the big price raise they told me it's because i had a claim and had lost my 3 years NCB. i ask when was this claim made and for what. it turned out that this woman had claimed 2 months after and my insurance company accepted full liability on my dehalf without sending me a letter or calling me ??????. every time i rang them to try and sort this out, all i got was nothing we can do the claim has been made sorry !!! so i asked to talk to a manager and every time was told they are out at the moment asked them to give me a call when they get back and never did, i rang them up about 5 times and got this every time, just a load of bull shit, and now for this i pay stupid price's on my insurance for the supra :(

by the way was the insurance company direct line ???????? because they are shit :)

Until the insurance company actually buy the car from you, it is still classed as yours! It is illegal for them to sell the car an/or anything in/on it which is also yours!

I'd get legal advice, as they will tell you the facts and point you in the right direction as to what you can do to sort it out.

J1mb0b - I'm with Direct Line, and I've not had much trouble with them, only the garages they use to repair vehicles! I wouldn't have given up trying to sort that mess out!

Insurance companies are a law unto themselves sometimes. But don't forget that they have to obide by stict rules, and will try to get around them as much as possible in order to make as much money as possible! Get advice and find out how to beat them at their own game! This is your life and your money we're talking about here!

Go to Trading Standards and the C.A.B to find out what your best move is.

Good luck with it mate!!

I received an offer letter just after Christmas.

auctioned the car in September.

I am pretty sure that since I hadn't accepted (or even received) an offer, the car was still legally mine.

Are the insurance company allowed to do this?

The car is still yours and since you have not informed DVLA (as the owner) of the change of status, you are still at risk if there are any speeding tickets etc...if it's been fixed.

I'd get legal help!

I had a car written off with plates on and was able to salvage the plates, as long as you have the V5 and a letter from the insuarance stating they have no interest in the plates then you should still be able to get them back..... I have no idea where my car was when I actually got the plates.... you may also need the engineers report stating that it was written off..... Call the DVLA, they were really helpful when I had the same problem.

Rob

CAB are toothless, tried to use them before for other issues and they are useless. Threatening things like Trading Standards or Watchdog wont get you very far either - if you find you are getting nowhere go to their office in person, it may cost you to get there but they cant turn you away so easy like they can in a letter or person

directline tried that on me when my bmw was stolen a few years back.

Car was found and recovered to a compound not to far away. no problem until I rang the garage up to confirm I could go get some personal possessions out of it. I was told they didnt have it and it had been moved to th west country! I live in Yorkshire. I rang the insurance company and went spare! I stayed on the line until I spoke to somebody that would get something done as it was still my car as nothing had been settled. 2 days later the car was delivered to my house and I carried on with the rest of my claim.

ring them up and demand your car is brought back to you as you havent accepted settlement yet. if they cant then its time for them to compensate you. What if you wanted to buy the car back?

Dont sit back and let them get away with it!

Try threatening to use the insurance ombudsman, every complaint letter that the ombudsman gets costs the insurance company so many try to resolve problems before that happens :)

Why just threaten, this sounds like the exact situation that an Ombudsman is there to arbitrate. Throw the book at them !

Mike

Why just threaten, this sounds like the exact situation that an Ombudsman is there to arbitrate. Throw the book at them !

Mike

Getting the ombudsman involved will take longer to get the situation resolved as they have to investigate, normally just threatening to is enough. Insurance companies try to avoid ombudsman complaints as its costly, hopefully just threatening at first will lead to a quicker resolution.