The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Everything's gone really expensive!!

carl0s

I didn't think it'd be this obvious, but it makes sense really.

Windows XP Pro OEM has been £79 + vat for as long as I can remember. Now it's £95 + VAT.

Office 2007 SBE has increased from £116 to ~£155

Tape Backup drive (DLT V4) has gone from £370ish to £490ish.

This is all from a quote that I did in September (£1 = $1.81 at the time, now £1 = $1.45).

All this meddling by the government has screwed everything. What frikkin' good was a VAT reduction? That only helps buyers on the street, but doesn't help businesses at all. Businesses are suffering more now because imports are wrecked.

On the positive side, Audi RS6 Saloon, 60,000 miles = £14k. My UK spec Supra was almost that price when I bought it.

Has anybody else noticed things costing more?

I didn't think $1.45 -> $1.81 was such a big jump, but it's about 24%.

If I multiple any of the figures I have in my September quote by 1.24, I end up with the now figures, so it's definitely unquestionably a result of the pound -> dollar exchange rate, which is been wrecked because of the low interest rates here, I think. Oh well.

I think the £/$ changes have got less to do with interest rates and more to do with the expectation that our economy will be built on the foundation of borrowed money in the medium to long term. The UK economy has no substance behind it anymore as we owe more (as a nation) than ever and our capacity to earn money in the future is at best, questionable.

US interest rates have fallen too and are now virtually at zero which rather reinforces this point of view as the £ has weakened much more than the $. At least the US has a base of manufacturing and farming to build upon.

How this government thinks that they can spend their way out of recession when they'll have to borrow the money that they intend to spend is utter madness.

:shrug: