The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Skimming/Shaving UK Calipers

DAT Inter

We do it on rally cars all the time and never have any bother wilth them. Anyone done it?

Why bother asking then...:taped:

This isn't the first time you have asked for opinions on threads and then just answered back with 'We do it all the time'... obviously you have the experience, so just get on with it then!.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2222453&postcount=9

We shave calipers on rally cars so as to give them the ability to fit snow tyres for certain stages.

I was just wondering if anyone had done it before on the UK supra calipers before just incase there is like a fluid well close to on of the walls. Are the UK calipers cast as well?

I recall it being done by TDI Ltd several years back, to fit some Blitz rims that'd been bought to the wrong offset. No idea how much was shaved, or whether the lucky owner subsequently crashed in a wrecked-brake-fireball-horror. I certainly wouldn't want anything to do with it.

I would have thought given the possible fatal consequences if of skimming calipers, rally teams that do it, know the exact dimensions of calipers both inside and out. I have seen 1mm or 2 mm shaved off 300ZX calipers on corners and edges and they were fine for years. You are considering 4mm off each side, this sounds far too much. If the calipers could run 8mm narrower Toyota would have done it when designing the car, as weight reduction was a huge priority for them.

Go for the lesser of two evils run spacers.

Just so that when this thread comes up in the searches...

The answer is NO, that is not an advisable way to make wheels fit. Neither is it good to shave the spokes on the wheel either (which I have seen done).

If you plan on doing this mod please let me know so I can ensure you arent in any of the convoys I organise.

It might be an idea to do a search for news stories about that guy with a Land Rover that bodged his brakes. Killed his kids and is now in jail.

as with most things designers allow anything around 33% safety margin, so if the caliper walls are 10mm thick which i doubt, and you shave 3.3mm off then you have no safety margin, people do not design things for nothing

leave well alone;)