The mkiv Supra Owners Club

thoughts on the 911 carrera 2 (996)

gaz1

anyone driven one or know what they are like,

i know they are not a patch on the 911 turbo but been thinking about one for running around in (plus the missus won,t be worried about driving it as there is no turbo:d)

or am i being a plank for considering one

No you're not a plank - decent sports cars are becoming increasingly affordable at the moment.

I don't think even the servicing is too bad on them, but do your homework first!!!

I'd consider one if I had the money. You know it's not the fastest thing on the planet...as long as you accept that then you'll do fine in one.

No you're not a plank - decent sports cars are becoming increasingly affordable at the moment.

I don't think even the servicing is too bad on them, but do your homework first!!!

I'd consider one if I had the money. You know it's not the fastest thing on the planet...as long as you accept that then you'll do fine in one.

from what i managed to search (google) i think they are 3.4 water cooled and 300bhp which i would think around the stock tt mark ?

Don't go for the earlier 3.4 as I believe they have had issues with the main seal. Go for the later 3.6 if you can stretch your budget.

We run an 03 at work as a hire car and that had to have the main seal done. (wasnt too expensive though (not done by main dealer))

Seem like nice cars gaz, wont get the buz of a single but if your net expecting that i doubt you will be disappointed.

Guest CoolsBlue

gaz, you have such a nice car already...such a perfect...SUPRA!!! keep it, change the way it looks? cuz u spent nuff on speed:D id change the way it looks, might give you a new feeling towards the car:)

top seret final evolution

full on ridox kitted

do one of those to:D

Gaz speak to stevie Boy on here I'm sure Havard said that he is a porsche technician.

Correctamundo....:)

I had a lot of long conversations with Stevie @ JAE. His advice was to stay away fro the C2 and C4 versions of this car. The only truely reliable cars were the turbo and the GT3 as the engine design was different.

His exact words were don't buy a C2 or C4 and spend £20k unless you want to possibly shell out 5k a week later......:blink:

You can get a Turbo for sub £30k so why would you want to gamble with the standard model??

You know my thoughts about the subject

*cough NOBLE cough*

I would rather stick my cock in a wasps nest than have a car where you have to take the engine out to remove the battery.....:blink::sly:

H.

Correctamundo....:)

I had a lot of long conversations with Stevie @ JAE. His advice was to stay away fro the C2 and C4 versions of this car. The only truely reliable cars were the turbo and the GT3 as the engine design was different.

His exact words were don't buy a C2 or C4 and spend £20k unless you want to possibly shell out 5k a week later......:blink:

You can get a Turbo for sub £30k so why would you want to gamble with the standard model??

I would rather stick my cock in a wasps nest than have a car where you have to take the engine out to remove the battery.....:blink::sly:

H.

Thats not the point is it:D Dont put him off i wanna have a ride in it!

Wow!! Way to nest those parentheses! Don't see much of that these days.

Who says good grammar is dead on this forum?

;)

When i get on a flow...... Prehaps I should have paid more attention at school.

For those who didnt know either:

pa⋅ren⋅the⋅sis   /pəˈrɛnθəsɪs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [puh-ren-thuh-sis] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun, plural -ses  /-ˌsiz/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [-seez] Show IPA Pronunciation . 1. either or both of a pair of signs ( ) used in writing to mark off an interjected explanatory or qualifying remark, to indicate separate groupings of symbols in mathematics and symbolic logic, etc.

2. Usually, parentheses. the material contained within these marks.

3. Grammar. a qualifying, explanatory, or appositive word, phrase, clause, or sentence that interrupts a syntactic construction without otherwise affecting it, having often a characteristic intonation and indicated in writing by commas, parentheses, or dashes, as in William Smith—you must know him—is coming tonight.

4. an interval.

I fancied one of these especially as you can get one for 15ish grand at credit crunch prices.

I then read up about what goes wrong with them and have been put off ever since.

I think we all sometimes take for granted what an amazingly well built and reliable car the stock supra TT is.

I know the ideal car for you Gaz,

It's reliable, quicker than most things, parts aren't too expensive, easy to work on, pretty cheap to insure, quite good economy and you can pick one up for about £5K. It's a stock Toyota Supra MkIV TT. They come in both manual and auto to please, and some even come with a targa top. :D

Seriously, if you're thinking of something around 911 performance but don't like the fact that you're going to have to spend £20-30k plus for a reliable one then a Stock Supe is the perfect alternative.

I think once you've been driving in a fully built single car for a while and have been subjected to the high's and low's of that the things that make a stock Supra particularly better than it's competition get somewhat forgotten.