The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which Differential......man am i confused

2JZ-GTE-IS200

ok peeps...ive searched and found way too much info that im actually totally confused now.

The issue i am having is that on my is200...with supra motor fitted.

this one

that now after fitting the kaaz 2 way into it, its starting to strip the output shafts.....the torsen diff held up fine for 5 years!!

simple solution, find a supra diff and fit that.........if only

ideal i would like to find a manual tt diff and shafts, but that aint to easy either....i know the supra shafts will plug into the hubs no problem

so ive looked and found way to much info, but nothing seems simple

i have been offered a TT Auto lsd diff, great, i have been offered shafts by someone else, at the mo im not sure if these shafts will fit the diff.

as i am led to believe there are 2 types of auto diff, as in different sizes yes...no...?,something to do with pre 96 big case, post 96 small case, but, the post 96 cases will be the TT auto lsd........????.........wibble:blink:

and as such use different type shafts...?:search:

what i would like is some real guidance as to know what i am getting, what should i be expecting to get

would i be correct in assuming the diff on the right of this picture is the TT auto lsd case...is it small is it big..

how strong is the auto diff , the car is running around 550hp

can i get a Kaaz 2 way differential to fit in the TT auto lsd case, and does anyone know which product code it is.

is the TT auto lsd case used in anything else...e.g, lexus GS300, n/a supra.

if some one can help guide me through id totally appreciate it, i only want to buy once,

i have to chop up my subframe to make this diff fit so i need to make sure i can get the best i can, the first time

thanks in advance

mat

To many questions to answer this late at night (ill have another look tomorrow) but id have thought for what you are using it for you would want the larger TT manual diff from an early 6TT.

How many times has it stripped the output shafts? 5 years for the diff to hold up seems pretty good.

stripped the is200 outputs once, since the kaaz 2 way was fitted, stripped the splines of the nearside shaft inside the diff unit, popped in another half shaft and its been fine so far...bt i want to build in a tad more reliability, and while its off season try and get a new rear end built up.

if i stick with the is200 unit, i feel ill be forever changing bits...the kaaz 2 way is obviously putting it under more strain

i appreciate your thoughts....at a more convenient time....lol

well looking at the size compared to the std is200 housing.....

its gotta be a dam sight stronger ...lol

welding is only a matter of course if peeps dont want to spend on 2 way lockers

welding would still strip the out put shafts though.

my biggest issue is understanding the different diff casings, drive shafts and years, as to which is my best option.

Edited by 2JZ-GTE-IS200 (see edit history)

The biggest diff is the early pre facelift diff from a 6 speed TT i think, i always keep a couple as ive broke a few, they are hard to come by though.

yup, this ive come to understand, but from one of the pics i posted above, of a manual tt and i think it is an auto TT, the sizing is similar, ....

if this is the auto diff casing (on the right) which model would it be from early or late....?

and if this is early...is it only the late auto tt cases that had lsd...what i think is the small case...?

see...see how im getting all confused..lol

dam its late

Im not 100% on this but i think all the auto TT diffs are the same, and that is an auto diff on the right, one thing to note with the auto diff the final drive is a lot lower.

the is200 FD ratio is 3.909..!! so its torque loading was very high....and hence why with the kaaz in it now, things are starting to break

the Auto @ 3.76 .....thats not a big issue, if its lower the car has the power anyway...and the torque the car is not used on the road anyway

hopefully someone can come along...who knows 100% and explain all to me.........so i can buy a flipping caseing

i suppose in a way NOT getting a manual case, could be a godsend if i do keep breaking units...........

as i say, thanks Jamie, hopefully someone can give me the lowdown.....

Edited by 2JZ-GTE-IS200 (see edit history)

There are two sizes

The early manual TT had the larger diff (3.266:1, slightly higher ratio on the UK?) with one driveshaft shorter than the other.

The smaller diff is used on all N/As, on the auto TT, and on the later manual TT (and on the Soarer, and, I think, on the GS300/Aristo).

3.769:1 (6-speed N/A and auto TT)

4.083:1 (5-speed N/A and auto N/A)

Soarer

3.916:1 (V8)

4.083:1 (TT)

Aristo/GS300

3.769:1 (TT)

4.083:1 (N/A)

You can compare the various options here: http://www.toyodiy.com

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

The painted one on the left is an early tt 6 speed it has larger input shafts and will take alot more abuse than the auto unit on the right which from the picture does'nt look much bigger than your is200 unit, I have a tomei clutchplate LSD fitted to my 6 speed diff a bit to aggressive for the road but great fun for driffting, might be tempted to sell it if the price is right as I need a smoother lsd for the road as mine is a daily drive

im looking at the largest possible unit, from what i can find the Supra et all units are bigger than the is300 units, i know this as although the unit is bigger than the is200 unit, it still sits in the same subframe.

i know one of the driftworks team guys runs a 5 speed diff on his toyota chaser, with 5 speed box and is running circa 500+ hp

so if i can get a n/a/auto diff im sure i can fit a kaaz unit into it.....if im getting my info right...am i?

if you have to chop up the subframe why not fit a much heftier unit with a stronger crown wheel and pinion altogether? Mercedes SL55 / 65 AMG has a really tough CWP set up. Chrysler Viper? Loads of alternatives if you don't mind some fabrication work.

that would be perfect, but i ideally need something i can fit a 2 way lsd into the case