The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TTC mod? yes or no?

Toms Supra

Perform the TTC mod?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Perform the TTC mod?

• Yes perform the mod it will be ok and u`ll love it!
    • No son it will bugger your engine long term, its not a good mod!

abs you said "had it" in pasted tence meaning you have it no more?

So ETTC better?

ETTC allows you to switch between having both turbo's online in the normal mode (i.e 1 followed by 2) or both online at the sametime, so ETTC gives you the best of both worlds as you might not like the the lag and lack of low down power with just TTC in place.

hope i got that all right.

I would say try it and see how you like it - it only takes 5 minutes to do.

I liked the exhaust note and the improved fuel consumption, but the loss of power low down takes a lot of getting used to (remember having to shift down a gear to overtake :D)

I also didn't like boost spikes of >1.5bar :eek:

I like ttc i seem to be able to get quicker launches. It makes full boost at 3000 rpm and seems to give a much smoother pull through the gears. It helps that mine is a manual so its easier for me to keep it on boost. But round town it cannot match sequential.

I did the hose TTC mod, and liked it. You do lose power lower down, but that is what the gears are for.

The way the turbos wind up is much more predictable, and the rush of power as they spool together is more impressive than the light switch delivery of sequential.

I definately prefer it for driving on the open road, but missed the quick response of sequential for overtaking. Also, the exhaust drone is awful in parallel and the actuator rattle is a pain.

I have ETTC now, like Rallure says its the best of both worlds. Keep an eye on the boost gauge in TTC mode though.

Done it on mine for about 3 months, went back to seq twin and was much better. Very loud on tickover (a good thing!), no power below 4k rpm, and for some reason my boost would go alot higher in TT mode too!

Out of the two, I'd stay in seq mode, but give TT a try if your curious!

... and for some reason my boost would go alot higher in TT mode too!

Mine used to hit 1.4 / 1.5 bar even though I had a restrictor ring fitted (and that with no boost controller turned on). :eek: Needless to say, that didnt stay for long! :(

I had mine set to TTC about 4 years ago when I had the e-manage fitted and I would recommend it to anyone. I find the power delivery a lot smoother than the sequential set up and it 'feels' more powerful once the turbos kick in.

I use to find the power delivery of the sequential set up was a little out of my control eg. if I was pushing it on a corner, then suddenly the second turbo would kick in without me wanting it to. I much prefer the linear power delivery of the TTC and it's controllability, in the same example I have full control of the power when cornering with the accelarator and don't have to worry about a sudden spike in power half way around a corner. I often wonder when I hear stories of people losing the back end on the Supra, whether it was as a result of the second turbo coming online unexpectedly.

I'd say try it and give it a few weeks to see how you like it. TTC takes a little getting use to and you need to adapt your driving to take advantage of it, I wouldn't go back now.

Hope you don't mind me asking a daft one, but why is TTC notably louder ?

When you are only on the first turbo, half the exhaust system is blocked off with a valve to stop the second turbo from spinning up. At 4krpm it opens, but the engine note is so loud by then and you are going so fast you generally don't notice the sudden increase in exhaust noise.

In TTC, this valve is kept open all the time even at idle so you get the full exhaust noise.

I'm sure it can't be as loud as a single turbo install :eyebrows:

I'm no fan of TTC, but some people prefer the power delivery. It will not, however, make your engine more powerful.

-Ian

Hmmmm, interesting - could be something to try over the coming 4 day weekend :eyebrows:

The two options on this poll are :

1. Yes perform the mod it will be ok and u`ll love it! or

2. No son it will bugger your engine long term, its not a good mod!

Does it bugger anything up ? Or reduce engine longevity ?

Cheers

Matt

...I'm no fan of TTC, but some people prefer the power delivery. It will not, however, make your engine more powerful.....

Ian, have you mapped an e-manage on a car running TTC? When I had my e-manage fitted the tuners recommended that I convert to TTC. They said they would be able to map the engine better to maximise the power. I've only ever driven mine with the e-manage whilst in TTC so nothing really to compare to. My car made 430bhp on the dyno in TTC after the e-manage was installed. It would be interesting to compare this against a dyno from sequential set up also using the e-manage.

I'd have thought it would be easier to map TTC compared to the sequential setup. What do you reckon?

• 4 months later...

Thread resurrection time.

I tried TTC when i had a Nur Spec, tried it for a week and couldn't put up with the noise so switched back to suquential. Just switched it over to TTC for the first time with a Ti exhaust - quite liking the noise now :D low end torques definately missin but it's still quick enough out of junctions etc. Think i can deffo live with this, for a little bit at least. Reason right now is because i do a lot of town drivin, due to bein off work and gettin sod all pay, i'm skint! any petrol saved around town will be a bonus! :D have to see if i do save anything at all though!