RedM

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...
let us now remember those no longer with us

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/19595268/Whos-Gone-Bust-in-UK-Retailing

The question is, who is going to go bust in 2010?

Can't help feeling more furniture stores will go along with a DIY retailer of some description.

DIY retail profits are up alot this year as no-one is moving. B&Q have improved their profits significantly, IIRC

USC and Faith, soon going shopping wont be worth the bother :(

Hope everyone has better luck this year with regard to redundancy

Is it USC where they have stupid children trying hard not to help or sell you anything as they chat alot to each other?

DIY retail profits are up alot this year as no-one is moving. B&Q have improved their profits significantly, IIRC

Our company has tried its hardest over this last year to be the main named brand in B&Q as its very strong compared to the remaining few.

They will be the tesco of diy as the stuff they sell is massively over priced but just convenient as they are everywhere and hold massive buying power.

Pubs and restaurant chains. Slug and lettuces, Ask, Pizza Hut. The supermarket will get people buying cheaper booze even more and cheap fast food will dominate more until at least a good year or so into any sort of economic recovery I would think.

Wonder if Comet/Currys/PCWorld retail group will last too if people get wiser that generally they can buy the stuff cheaper over the interweb from other retailers.

Saab? Aren't they sort of going?

Also waiting for the expensive department stores to go too at least outside of the big cities like London, Manchester etc.

H Samuel the jewellers? Just got to see that they're offering massive discounts on the expensive stuff now.

It's also the fact that the recession has also probably given people a decent lesson about budgeting and saving some money and there won't be as many shopaholics even when we recover for a while I'd say. It's made a lot more people realise the value of money (and the lack of credit) and we should see less wild spending.

Our company has tried its hardest over this last year to be the main named brand in B&Q as its very strong compared to the remaining few.
Huh?

What do you mean by 'be the main named brand in B&Q'?

They will be the tesco of diy as the stuff they sell is massively over priced but just convenient as they are everywhere and hold massive buying power.
If you mean that they are the market leader, they already are the 'Tesco of DIY' and have been for at least a decade.

Some of their stuff might be over-priced but people wouldnt shop there if it was all 'massively' over priced, not just because it was convenient anyway.

JJB is hanging on by a thread, dave wealan sold the stores off and kept hold of the gyms as they were the only thing making money, or so i heard from a source

also dont boots the chemist own halfords? i would have thought they would be in trouble as well as comet.

I'm sure i also read that argos nearly went under last year so they will be the biggest if they go :(