The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ten chains 'face closure' in 2009

RedM

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think M&S would close. If they were ever in serious financial trouble, I think the whole chain would be bought as a going concern.

I agree with tDR about the hysteria. I have one or two thoughts about who might close (mainly through reading news articles, not clever brainwork on my part!), but I don't want to fuel any speculation.

It still amazes me that Halfords has no direct high street competition. Motor factors are the closest it gets to competition, but their range tends to be smaller than Halfords, and often less welcoming if you're not into cars.

And the job losses, repossessions, ruined lives, heart ache, misery etc etc. Goody

No need to mention (Jade) Goody! Things are already bad enough as it is! ;)

As Ian R says, a lot of those furniture stores could be at risk, as any company that seems to have permanent sales are easily contenders IMO.

I think Whittard's may be one... but it's not exactly a retail giant.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7796751.stm

If you look around your home and wonder what you may defer buying (cooker/microwave/sofa/computer/posh food/posh clothing) then that'll probably reflect what may go under. So Comet/PCWorld/DFS/Waitrose/Monsoon would be good guesses. B&Q are rather large and I think DIY goes up in sales when people want to save money on work/renovation.

I'll throw in Boots as one of the companies I think may go under - vastly overpriced. Oh and HS Samuel and stores of that kind.

There's a 'dog grooming parlour' near me. Quite frankly I'll eat someone's hat if that survives the recession.

I've barely heard of SCS, meanwhile DFS is hard to avoid. Maybe that's down to DFS's cheesy TV adverts.

My mistake, apparently SCS already went into administration:

UK retailers that have already gone into administration this year include MFI, SCS Sofas, Rosebys, Dolcis, MK One and Ethel Austin.

(story link in the below post)