The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Should the Govt. Bail out Jaguar/Land Rover?

Soop Dogg

Not just the UK govt. Exactly the same is happening in the US with the big 3 car makers.

The one BIG difference with the big 3 in the US is that at least they are American companies. At least the future profits that they might be rescuing are going to go into the American economy - not someone elses.

I do feel for the workers though. Not a good time to lose your job - but then, when is?

It might be a good idea if part of the deal says that JLR have to use UK-based Engineering consultancies and service industries exclusively for a set number of years, rather than farming it out to China, India, Europe or wherever. I.e. the UK bail out cash stays within the UK economy.

Many "developing" economies have very strict controls on how much of their profit can leave the country. Why shouldn't we do the same?

They may not be the cornerstone of the UK economy like the Big Three are in the US, but a bit of political manoevering might be able to use it as a lever to help a wider spectrum of businesses.

Some good points - it won't be just JLR that are affected by this - there's all the suppliers etc that make money off the back of them too. If they disappear commpletely, there'll be a lot of other (British) companies shutting their doors too.

Some good points - it won't be just JLR that are affected by this - there's all the suppliers etc that make money off the back of them too. If they disappear commpletely, there'll be a lot of other (British) companies shutting their doors too.

While there will be some that are wholly dependent on JLR factories, glaziers right down to the sandwich shop across the road from the factory JLR's failure wouldn't crush our economy like Detroit's would.

It might be a good idea if part of the deal says that JLR have to use UK-based Engineering consultancies and service industries exclusively for a set number of years, rather than farming it out to China, India, Europe or wherever. I.e. the UK bail out cash stays within the UK economy.

Sounds like a nice idea.

I think the point that has been missed so far is that it's not just the jobs of people employed at these firms, but hundreds of other companies that supply them..and in turn the people that supply them with their business needs, etc. etc.

i think that the goverment should give every third jag or land rover empolyee a new land rover or jag if they are made redundant. the other two losers shuold get free trips to amsterdam everyweekend for a year. this tactic will show tata what the english are really like, and they will pull their socks up, and stop asking for help.

are they to help out prodrive etc then if subaru are not going to run wrc next year

why not give some to honda too so they can run f1 next year.

if they can afford to sponser ferrari then they got spare cash, ferrari must be in a bad way if they are taking sponsership from tata

Hmmmm. I don't know about jaguar but land rover is still a very strong world wide marque. The defender is possibly the most accomplished vehicle on the planet. Its design hasn't changed much in over 30 years and you will find one in virtually every country in the world. I think possibly the defenders biggest problem is its reliability. It just runs and runs so doesn't need replacing. Have a quick search on autotrader for cars over 15 years old that cost more than £5k and I tell you what you won't find, supra's for starters. You will however find multitudes of landrovers.

One thing really gets up my nose about our country now. We don't make anything anymore. As a country we have allowed ourselves to be lured by better products from abroad at a fraction of the price we can make it ourselves. Thats all well and good but now we only have ourselves to thank for having no actual real industries to support ourselves. Service industries can only be supported by so much borrowing, eventually that bubble will burst. Then my friends the piper will want paying. Its almost paying up time folks.

Tata to pump money into Jaguar: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7795026.stm

And a good job too!

I was wrong about saying GB would fund it directly but it had to have been funded somehow. There are too many jobs on the line in all the supporting industries. I still think GB has had some behind the scenes influence and possibly long term dealings to secure the support from Tata. Who knows? There are lots of ways of scratching each others backs. I am at least glad that the GB taxpayer is not directly forking it out of their pockets and that JLR are a bit more secure.