The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fast and the Furious

AlexJames

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1 ... is he talking about double de clutching or matching revs?

Q2 ... didnt double de clutching go out when syncro mesh was invented?

Q3 ... I match revs all the time when I drive, using the side of my right foot on the accelerator and left side of right foot on break. if he ment this then...

Q4 ... why on earth would you wanna double clutch in a drag race? :blink:

Q5 ... How could he tell when he was three cars over? :blink:

ok so I know that the general consensus is that these films are crap and generally full of rubbish.. but one thing interested me about a part of the script on the first film...

When Brian drives back in his eclipse after loosing to Toretto's (Vin Diesal's) 7.

Torretto then gives him some stick for crap driving... and he says... 'granny shifting and not double clutching like you should'

Q1 ... is he talking about double de clutching or matching revs?

Q2 ... didnt double de clutching go out when syncro mesh was invented?

Q3 ... I match revs all the time when I drive, using the side of my right foot on the accelerator and left side of right foot on break. if he ment this then...

Q4 ... why on earth would you wanna double clutch in a drag race? :blink:

It also makes me laugh that he says the piston rings are fried.. but then continues to outrun the police ... sorry... 'cops'

crap how dare you lol i love them:p

hang on, i dont double clutch like that. i put my foot down, say the car is at 3000rpm i quickly stamp my foot down on the clutch and up again (clutch doesnt stay down longer than half a second), sending the car from 3000rpm tp like 5-6000rpm in a split second.

I think when most of us are saying double clutching.. they are talking about matching the revs.. or heel toe... thats not double clutching cause that would only be used in older non-syncro cars... Youd never do that going up through the gears..

Who ever said it about is correct, they just used fancy talking in the F&F movies to make it more 'hollywood'

Vin's character in the film just needed a way of asserting his superior driving skills for the purposes of the plot line. As they'd only had a straight drag, there was very little he could criticise ("you didn't press the pedal hard enough", maybe? :p ), so the writers just picked some technical driving term that the majority of viewers wouldn't understand or question.

Vin's character in the film just needed a way of asserting his superior driving skills for the purposes of the plot line. As they'd only had a straight drag, there was very little he could criticise ("you didn't press the pedal hard enough", maybe? :p ), so the writers just picked some technical driving term that the majority of viewers wouldn't understand or question.

Hi, thats an intelligent observation! I like it :)

hang on, i dont double clutch like that. i put my foot down, say the car is at 3000rpm i quickly stamp my foot down on the clutch and up again (clutch doesnt stay down longer than half a second), sending the car from 3000rpm tp like 5-6000rpm in a split second.

Holy clutch slip Batman!!!

Ive used heel-toeing to blip the throttle when downshifting since about 2 months into having my license. Cant stop doing it now. Makes driving slightly smoother. I can kinda do it in the auto supra when changing into 2nd to avoid the engine braking. You can time it with the slip in the torque converter.

Im preparing for people telling me Im wrong by the way.

I'm gonna make you feel like idiots now, I put mine in D and press my foot on the accelerator and it goes forward!!!!!!!!!! Even more incredible, i press the middle pedal and it slows down and stops. Beat that!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Yeh im in the autobox section on this one. Manu Mode is great.. but not for track use.. ive heard that you can ruin the box that way,but everyday driving aint a prob. but if your lazy and all you have to do is put your foot down and it goes really fast without having to do anything. .. put it in D.

yeh i'm lazy.. don't judge me.:tongue: LOL

How hard is it to learn double de-clutch and heel-toe? I've always wanted to learn these to see if I can improve the quality of my driving and smoothness of the ride, but I get confused as what to do when, and becasue it happens over a short space of time I can't get my head around it! :D

But as for the OP's question, yeh, it was mainly jargen used to stun and confuse people and make Vin's character seem like a superior driver... However lots of car enthusiasts watch it and take the pee, so it becomes an epic fail. But like Snooze said, "You didn't press the pedal hard enough!" :p

Although he could have said something involving poor gear changes, miss-use of No2, No chance his Eclipse could have beat an RX7 :D stuff like that... and yeh, his Eclipse seemed to drive fine whist escaping the cops cops cops!!! :D

Roll on Fast and Furious :cool: I mean Jordana Brewster :love:

Guest gracie69

after just watching said drag race and having too much time on my hands, somehow it took 1min 20 to reach 120mph. with the hollywood squirt of noz!! they must have been using an n/a like mine :think:

after just watching said drag race and having too much time on my hands, somehow it took 1min 20 to reach 120mph. with the hollywood squirt of noz!! they must have been using an n/a like mine :think:

OK Geeko here(me) watch it with the commentry on not long ago. First off very impressed with the research they did actually do for the movie, the spent ages looking into the street racing community. That sequence was stretched out on purpose cos otherwise you wouldnt of got a sense of tension in what would of been a 10 second race.. so to create drama, they made it all happen a bit longer than it would. and we all enjoy it anyway!!

They use cuts, so you see everyone's point of view at the same points in time, so it takes longer. But I always wondered about the speeds... Surely after spending $10k on an engine, 120mph is a pathetic speed... They need to take all that junk out their trunks! :rlol: too much weight!!!

How hard is it to learn double de-clutch and heel-toe? I've always wanted to learn these to see if I can improve the quality of my driving and smoothness of the ride, but I get confused as what to do when, and becasue it happens over a short space of time I can't get my head around it! :D

Just start off doing it really slowly, I was the same, and try and do it every time you change down and eventually(without even thinking about it) you will get quicker and it will just seem the norm to do it every time (which is quite funny seeing freinds expressions when your heel and toeing whilst pootling round town :D)

Ok, quick run through for you... When going down through the gears... (6th to 1st) dip clutch - take out of gear and put it one down - blip throttle - release clutch...

Normally when you release the clutch you feel the engine breaking right? well now, because you have flicked the throttle, there for increasing the engine reves.. the engine braking is alot higher... so you 'should' (provided you supplied the correct about of throttle blip) not get any severe engine braking going on.

Or you use it like me and break at the same time (this is heel toe)

Ok, quick run through for you... When going down through the gears... (6th to 1st) dip clutch - take out of gear and put it one down - blip throttle - release clutch...

Normally when you release the clutch you feel the engine breaking right? well now, because you have flicked the throttle, there for increasing the engine reves.. the engine braking is alot higher... so you 'should' (provided you supplied the correct about of throttle blip) not get any severe engine braking going on.

Or you use it like me and break at the same time (this is heel toe)

Yeh, I undertand the workings of it, like blipping the throttle to keep the revs up for a smooth change... It's just the actual 'doing it' part I struggle with! :D

I'll have to practice!