The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fast and the Furious

AlexJames

ok so I know that the general consensus is that these films are crap and generally full of rubbish.. but one thing interested me about a part of the script on the first film...

When Brian drives back in his eclipse after loosing to Toretto's (Vin Diesal's) 7.

Torretto then gives him some stick for crap driving... and he says... 'granny shifting and not double clutching like you should'

Q1 ... is he talking about double de clutching or matching revs?

Q2 ... didnt double de clutching go out when syncro mesh was invented?

Q3 ... I match revs all the time when I drive, using the side of my right foot on the accelerator and left side of right foot on break. if he ment this then...

Q4 ... why on earth would you wanna double clutch in a drag race? :blink:

It also makes me laugh that he says the piston rings are fried.. but then continues to outrun the police ... sorry... 'cops'

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok... so what do u mean by double-clutching?

clutch in - take out of gear - clutch out - clutch in - put in next gear.

I've been doing it for so long now that it just comes naturally it's pretty much as quick as normal shifting once you've been doing it for a while.

I've been doing it for so long now that it just comes naturally it's pretty much as quick as normal shifting once you've been doing it for a while.

ok.. that makes more sense.. so that is double de-clutching then... whats the benefit in a drag race?

ok.. that makes more sense.. so that is double de-clutching then... whats the benefit in a drag race?

Don't think it's needed in drag racing, it's generally safer for down shifting in track racing, as I was constantly blowing gearbox's as I am quite brutal with them to say the least, but since I now just double clutch every change my problem has gone away.

Don't you mean:

clutch in - take out of gear - clutch out - blip throttle - clutch in - put in next gear.

Double de-clutching became somewhat less relevant to most after the introduction of synchromesh, but it is still a good idea. It simply matches engine revs to road speed on a downshift and is easier on your transmission.

They teach you this to Police officers as part of the standard driving course.

Don't think it's needed in drag racing, it's generally safer for down shifting in track racing, as I was constantly blowing gearbox's as I am quite brutal with them to say the least, but since I now just double clutch every change my problem has gone away.

Sounds like you should have bought an auto ;)

Don't you mean:

clutch in - take out of gear - clutch out - blip throttle - clutch in - put in next gear.

see now that is how I drive.... clutch in.. flick throttle...gear in and clutch out... it goes alot faster...

Its also alot easier because you can do it while breaking, if you roll your foot like me... or use heel toe...:search:

Double de-clutch is useless on any synchro car as it serves no purpose but it is useful to posers ;)

You wouldnt do it 'up' the box anyway, used to be just down.

I disagree.

On the way into a corner, if you double de-clutch you aren't allowing the engine to slow the car down, avoiding shifting the weight too far onto the front outside wheel. I've always found it easier to balance the car this way. Simply punching it into a lower gear on the approach to a corner pushes the car a little wide and means you have to counter this with more steering input which takes some smoothness out of the corner and increases your chance of missing the apex.

My main reason for doing it is because it's smoother.

I disagree.

On the way into a corner, if you double de-clutch you aren't allowing the engine to slow the car down, avoiding shifting the weight too far onto the front outside wheel. I've always found it easier to balance the car this way. Simply punching it into a lower gear on the approach to a corner pushes the car a little wide and means you have to counter this with more steering input which takes some smoothness out of the corner and increases your chance of missing the apex.

yep id agree with that...

I disagree.

Sorry, i was talking about in a drag race or road driving scenario as in the OP description.

Definately useful on the track. check out virtually every Best Motoring video and watch the Pro's heel n toe :)

I disagree.

Are you talking about double de-clutching or heel&towing. I have heel&toed ever since I started driving as its easier on the clutch and as you say doesn't allow engine braking to upset the car, however, i agree that double de-clutching is useless in modern syncro equipped cars now, the only time i use it is when driving an old landrover lightweight as it has no syncros.

Don't you mean:

Whoops, yes, thanks for pointing that out.

Sounds like you should have bought an auto ;)

I'm on about track racing here;), so far i've only had 1 road going box spit it's cogs out on me:d

There's no need to double declutch these days, however it's a good idea to blip the throttle when changing down the box (clutch in - blip while slotting the next gear - clutch out).

And double clutching going up the box is a complete waste of time. It's just FnF speak for the benefit of the kids watching.

I'm gonna make you feel like idiots now, I put mine in D and press my foot on the accelerator and it goes forward!!!!!!!!!! Even more incredible, i press the middle pedal and it slows down and stops. Beat that!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Just put it in 'D'? Haven't you heard of MANU mode? 1 2 D, then maybe Overdrive for good measure. Wow! Then downshifting the same. Best of both worlds IMO :eyebrows: