The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What clutch for 600+HP?

StuartW

i currently have 573 fly hp, 532 foot pounds of torque with my GT35R

My plans are to run a bigger turbo like a PT67 and achieve 650+hp.

Currently i run a RPS 6 puck clutch and have had 100% reliability out of it with over 190 Drag runs and 1500 hard Road miles but..

1 Its noisy and chattery on take up

2 Its Heavy on the foot in traffic

3 The clutch bite is pretty on/off not easy to slip it whilst doing slow maneuverer's.

My question is this...Are all clutches of this spec like this??

Whats the HKS single or triple plate clutches like compared to the RPS?

Last night i removed the engine and gearbox to rebuild the synchro on my Getrag, replace the engine with one that has compression... and whilst its out its research time!

Discuss...:D

The clatter if from you light flywheel, i run stock flywheel in mine.

So do i thats what i cant understand!

Also the OEM fly was Brand new!

The noise and judder is only on take up and even after i have used it the plates are not warped or scored?

so just to clarify it IS quiet on idle.

Edited by StuartW (see edit history)

You can put a servo on really heavy clutches, there are various ways of doing this, the first one I did was on a Renault 5 Turbo 2 for Peter Stringfellow, and I have done a few more since then. Unless you get a huge and heavy organic plate clutch anything that will handle drag usage and take a genuine 500 plus pounds of torque will be agricultural.

Hi Stuart i have the RPS Streetmax 6puk clutch rattles and sounds mad when i start it up in the morning when i take off but then its not too bad . its grand in traffic doesn't shoot off . i have the oem flywheel. I also change the bearing just to be sure. The clutch pedal or changing gears is not hard at all only difference was the rattle for me and got use to the quicker take off...

Just to throw a spanner in the works, i`m using a centreforce dual friction clutch, feels like stock, sounds like stock, even though i`m only running about 500 there are people on here running well over 600 with no problems, costs about the same as rps maybe a bit less.

the Black one has 10% stiffer springs and the blue one has 38% stiffer springs on the pressure plate (I can vouch for this with my Aching leg in traffic!) Look on mvp website for full hp specs etc.

The street disc looks the same as OEM BUT is said to be fully organic unlike the OEM.

I have gone for a Streetmax plate to go with my 38% (Blue) basket to hopefully have more bite and a quieter take up.

will keep this thread posted on results...