The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help with iphone 3g please

JamieP

Got the new phone yesterday from the carphone warehouse, plug it in and it wont work all day, (try calling the shop cant get through) go back to the shop this morning and they tell me i need to register it online (be helpful if the w@nkers told me this yesterday) so come back home look online and it says. "iPhone 3G is activated at the place of purchase." WTF:(

How are you finding on first impressions, think I am going to go for one when my upgrade time comes in the next month or so. The one feature I am a little worried about it the keyboard for texting, how user friendly are you finding the keyboard function...?

keyboard function for texting is bloody annoying....

this phone is all about the internet and the many apps that are available, not to mention the ipod functionality inc audio and video podcasts which in itself makes the phone unique.

as a phone or smartphone for business use - it is frankly, useless :)

Yeah i like it, pretty easy to use, enjoying watching my videos on youtube

keyboard function for texting is bloody annoying....

this phone is all about the internet and the many apps that are available, not to mention the ipod functionality inc audio and video podcasts which in itself makes the phone unique.

as a phone or smartphone for business use - it is frankly, useless :)

Interesting, I keep on reading mixed opinions.

I've been looking into the IPhone 3G as I fancied one, but the following put me off:

:: Crap Camera Quality with apparently no auto-focus or flash

:: No video capability

:: Bluetooth is crap (only works properly with other Apple IPhones)

:: Cant forward txt messages

:: Cant send txt message to multiple users

:: Cant send picture messages

:: Cant delete individual txt message from a specific user as they are all merged into one

:: Have to install iTunes to register/update the phone

Note:

Some of the above features can be added by 'jailbreaking' the phone, however this invalidates any warranty you have with Apple. :(

I've been looking into the IPhone 3G as I fancied one, but the following put me off:

:: Cant delete individual txt message from a specific user as they are all merged into one

Note:

Some of the above features can be added by 'jailbreaking' the phone, however this invalidates any warranty you have with Apple. :(

To get your warranty "back", backup your phone and then do a recovery mode restore in iTunes to the current firmware version, et voila...

Note:

Without jail breaking you can send a multiple user text message (was out in firmware 2.1)

Picture messages? Why bother when you can email them...? Who doesn't have email nowadays?

Bluetooth people are moaning about as there is no EDR (Enhanced data rate - the bluetooth you need for stereo headphones etc) but that's just software, the hardware is inside the phone capable of doing so.

JamieP, there's a thread somewhere with everyone's recommendations on apps to have a sniff at :)

If anyone's stuck for ringtones etc I really would recommend forking out the one off fee of buying iToner from http://www.ambrosiasw.com

I think the handiest thing ever is the backup facility in iTunes. The amount of friends who have lost/broken their iphone and then got a new one I've had to show how to restore it, but getting a replacement phone and within 30 minutes having it back with every text/email/setting/photo on from when it was last docked is worthwhile.