The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Generic Rant Thread

michael

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It bothers me because each sale they get detracts from more original sports car manufacturers like Lotus and TVR who in turn struggle to stay afloat despite experimenting with far more unique designs and creating imo far more special sports cars.

Mazda gave up the rx7 which was to take on the porsche 911. Unfortunately it failed but to me that car will forever be a legacy on any 911 and thus car manufacturers like Mazda and Toyota are v.edgy when it comes to producing another supercar like the rx7 and supra.

It annoys me Mr porsche adds LEDs or makes v.minor changes to the shape of his cars, thus the basic chassis which performs superbly stays the same - and he makes tweaks technologically to the mechanics and he gets away with it as a new model and sells loads.

Mr TVR and Mr wankel must be tossing in their graves.

I'll tell you what bothers me, TVR fanboys blaming everything and everyone for the demise of their beloved novelty car manufacturer. The OC's and owners themselves ought to shoulder a massive part of the blame, their blinkered and relentless support and defence of a flawed product meant that the product never improved and just got sillier and sillier until it was a parody of itself. The Sagaris looked like something out of Acme Industries and people applauded it's wild looks as TVR's have always looked wild- which is crap, the Tuscan was the first of the weird cars with ridiculous paint jobs. A dark blue Chimaera on 15's defines a TVR, not some 4 wheeled sex toy on 19's with fake scoops, vents and looking like a Ridge Racer refugee.

The 911 didn't cost TVR any sales, I can count on one hand the amount of times I've ever seen someone decide between a brand new 911 or a brand new TVR in the last 5 years, now had you said Boxster then you may have had a point, though a small one as most TVR owners seem to be like football hooligans fans and would never consider anything else until 2005 when the wheels came off for TVR.

Wheeler & Smolenski were the masters of it's demise though and imo Wheeler deserves most of the blame, when he was making the Chim, Griff and Cerbera there was a waiting list of years to buy one, these still had issues, silly ones rather than major things, like not weather proofing the chassis in any way and poncing about with gimmickery on door action. Then because Rover was discontinuing the V8 rather than do the decent thing and put a Chevrolet engine in his cars he had an in-house engine built, which was quite unreliable- of the members polled, 40% of pre 2002 owners of SP6 cars had major engine failure, this was addressed with modifications and minor redesign but not with a major reworking (a ridiculously high compression ratio was not helping) that was needed (though Wilder have now re-invented the SP6 and is fixed, but at a cost of £15k per unit).

TVR had a huge advantage over other marques, a huge percentage of their owners were regularly posting only on two websites, essentially they had a real-time feedback system which was fully interactive if they wanted to utilise it - imagine having free R&D with your core customers but TVR not only ignored it, they tried to censor the criticisms and the die hard fanboys tried to shout down people who had interesting contributions to make- yes the guy with two Tuscans that never broke down once had the right to feel peeved that someone else was slaughtering his car, but what if that person owns the same vehicle and is on his 3rd rebuild in under a year and the dealer had possession of the car more than the owner did?

As it happens Porsche did try something radical with the 911- it tried to replace it with the 928, it wasn't a success and a clear nod to the philosophy "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and given that as of May 2008, 100,000 997's had been built maybe people voted with their wallets afterall?

New members who post twice consecutively in the same thread when they could have just put more info in the original post 10 seconds before.......:rolleyes: Once or twice is ok but blatant spamming is taking place. Don't get me wrong, I used to to post more than anyone on here but at least I did it in different threads on different topics....FFS!!

You know who you are and it's getting on my tits!!

H.