The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Generic Rant Thread

michael

ebay. drives me f3king wild. i sit there watching an iten for 10 poxy days patiently stalking it waiting for the perfect moment , down to the last 10 second so i make my move , enter the bid and ........ internet explorer cannot display the page , refresh , too late . its sold to some other f%ker for less than i was wiulling to give, grrrr,

Bid earlier.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Rant..

How shite has the TV been recently. I understand that everyone thinks the TV is terrible over the festive period, in most cases that is because we spend so much time in front of the damn box over christmas that we have seen everything worth seeing by dinner time (when the repeats start), so have nothing left to watch after that.

It hasn't gotten any better for me though. I'm literally relying on my season collection for something to watch in the evenings. Right now my movie options are:

Cocoon, The godfather Part III, 1408, Julia, Alien 3, The Grifters, Body Shots, Brewsters Millions, The Boston Strangler, Saw IV, Con Air, beneath the planet of the apes & Alien resurrection.

:blink:

then you just get outbid

I don't follow your logic. If you are willing to bid more than the winning bidder then surely you would win?

If I bid £8 on something and you are willing to pay £10. What difference does it make when your £10 bid goes in?

I don't follow your logic. If you are willing to bid more than the winning bidder then surely you would win?

If I bid £8 on something and you are willing to pay £10. What difference does it make when your £10 bid goes in?

I think he said his IE crashes when he tries to bid.

I think dr_jekyll is right. Sniping (bidding at the last possible moment) on ebay makes it less likely that you are outbid. Putting your bid in early allows time for a rival bidder to re-think and revise their maximum bid upwards. They might decide they can squeeze their budget to, say, £11 to save on the hassle of finding another similar item on ebay and going through the whole bidding process again.

Time of bid only makes no difference if all bidders think of a maximum bid before bidding starts and stick to it. Actually this case favours the early bidder.

dr_jekyll: try 1) refreshing the ebay page a few minutes before the auction ends to ensure you're not timed out when you try to enter your sniping bid; or 2) use the services of a bidding service/webbot (although they'll take a cut and it spoils the fun); or 3) use Firefox :)

what i normally do is place my maximum bid with 2 minutes to go (leaving enought time to relaunch IE or ebay if it crashes) and then get ready to 'snipe' with another bid of say, £5 pounds more and bid that on the last few seconds.

So your first maximum bid isn't really your maximum bid.. Shrewd.. ;)

I think dr_jekyll is right. Sniping (bidding at the last possible moment) on ebay makes it less likely that you are outbid. Putting your bid in early allows time for a rival bidder to re-think and revise their maximum bid upwards. They might decide they can squeeze their budget to, say, £11 to save on the hassle of finding another similar item on ebay and going through the whole bidding process again.

Time of bid only makes no difference if all bidders think of a maximum bid before bidding starts and stick to it. Actually this case favours the early bidder.

dr_jekyll: try 1) refreshing the ebay page a few minutes before the auction ends to ensure you're not timed out when you try to enter your sniping bid; or 2) use the services of a bidding service/webbot (although they'll take a cut and it spoils the fun); or 3) use Firefox :)

That is exactly what I do Stevie, but as per the following posts... that would mean that the maximum bids weren't actually the maximum bids.

What I tend to do is hold back from my maximum bid, hoping for a bargain.. but I put the bid in early so that I at least have something in and I make sure it goes for a reasonable price. That way if the system crashes and I don't get my ACTUAL high bid in I don't feel so bad. Can't say it happens often though, my internet is pretty good.

Basically the sniping is to get things for less than your maximum. As below, if you are having issues I would do it with a minute to go, just to be sure. If you put in your maximum, and it is your maximum, then what difference does it make if you get beat.

what i normally do is place my maximum bid with 2 minutes to go (leaving enought time to relaunch IE or ebay if it crashes) and then get ready to 'snipe' with another bid of say, £5 pounds more and bid that on the last few seconds.

So your first maximum bid isn't really your maximum bid.. Shrewd.. ;)

Bingo, that was my point. Even though I do exactly the same thing I can't complain if it goes wrong.

thats what i do , i enter a 80% bid early then i get ready to throw my max at it last second, even if im currently the highest bidder but 4/5 times the page crashes and when i refresh someone els has sliped one in.

But why is that a rant against ebay? Surely it should be a rant against IE?

ebay. drives me f3king wild. i sit there watching an iten for 10 poxy days patiently stalking it waiting for the perfect moment , down to the last 10 second so i make my move , enter the bid and ........ internet explorer cannot display the page , refresh , too late . its sold to some other f%ker for less than i was wiulling to give, grrrr,

Download a Firefox browser and see how it goes with that.

My Rant..

How shite has the TV been recently.

You're really missing X-Factor aren't you :p

It hasn't gotten any better for me though. I'm literally relying on my season collection for something to watch in the evenings. Right now my movie options are:

Cocoon, The godfather Part III, 1408, Julia, Alien 3, The Grifters, Body Shots, Brewsters Millions, The Boston Strangler, Saw IV, Con Air, beneath the planet of the apes & Alien resurrection.

Are these movies that you haven't seen for a while? I thought you had 100s/1000s unless I'm confusing you with someone else.

1408 btw ;)

Download a Firefox browser and see how it goes with that.

You're really missing X-Factor aren't you :p

Are these movies that you haven't seen for a while? I thought you had 100s/1000s unless I'm confusing you with someone else.

1408 btw ;)

Moved all my DVD's up the loft. I only have a select few left down here now.

Have you never noticed that if you see a film on TV you will watch it, even though you have it on DVD/Bluray and didn't have the incline to do so?

Anyway, my gripe was that the TV was shite, not my DVD collection :p

Moved all my DVD's up the loft. I only have a select few left down here now.

Have you never noticed that if you see a film on TV you will watch it, even though you have it on DVD/Bluray and didn't have the incline to do so?

For some reason I thought you had them all ripped to a multi-TB MediaCenter or something.

If you ever want to sell them at £1.50 each I might be interested depending on what you got.

Nope I haven't watched movies from tv broadcasters for years now, I just buy them from PlayTrade or bootsales.

For some reason I thought you had them all ripped to a multi-TB MediaCenter or something.

If you ever want to sell them at £1.50 each I might be interested depending on what you got.

Nope I haven't watched movies from tv broadcasters for years now, I just buy them from PlayTrade or bootsales.

Na, I thought about doing that but I couldn't be bothered. The tracker I use is pretty good speed wise so it means if I fancy watching something I can have it within 10-20 mins :D

I only have around 400 cosher DVD's ;)

Na, I thought about doing that but I couldn't be bothered. The tracker I use is pretty good speed wise so it means if I fancy watching something I can have it within 10-20 mins :D

I only have around 400 cosher DVD's ;)

Ahh right, I've probably got 90odd% of your collection myself then unless you're into weird stuff :)