• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres plenty of us know different and anything over 400 horses and it fails

me 3 engines

bedlam 4 engines

gamer had a major failure also

all at 450 to 500 horses

I wish it was different but i got sick of swapping 1jz out of car and got a supra instead

I just wish that it was different but to many engines later and you just get sick of it :(

Gamers car was killed with a hole in i think no5 piston and blowing oil line over manifold

ok ok so maybe its the way i drive then ^^

Im real sore on any car i drive even though i do look after them i seem to keep blowing anything i drive up

I'll get my coat.............. :D

How are you Andy long time no speak

pm your phone number bud would be good to catch up ;)

• 3 weeks later...
theres plenty of us know different and anything over 400 horses and it fails

me 3 engines

bedlam 4 engines

gamer had a major failure also

all at 450 to 500 horses

I wish it was different but i got sick of swapping 1jz out of car and got a supra instead

I just wish that it was different but to many engines later and you just get sick of it :(

Sounds like tuning or some other errors. 1JZ hardware will definately not fail at 500hp, but you can break anything with detonation, running lean or other stuff.

Well read thsi thread and i deff found this 1 funny...

1JZ hardware will definately not fail at 500hp

Any engine will fail when it decide's to fail...no engine on the planet is totally safe thats why the rest of the sentence was finished of by..

but you can break anything with detonation, running lean or other stuff.

And thats what usually happens with the 1JZ a bit like the 2JZ..after about 4 engines, and 1x 1.5JZ hybrid we decided enough was enough.

Oh and some of the things we did to try and stop the engine killing itself...FMC ...bigger injectors...water injection..using a mix of meth and water...water mod to rear end of the block...4" intake pipe to turbo...emanage blue (which to be honest is a piggyback and thats what it is a piggyback...and if your wanting RELIABLE power from a car get a proper EMU).

It was mapped by a friend of mine who owns Dastek UK ..and he DOES know how to map..if anyone doubts that maybe they should ask Ian Chisholm on here as he has seen his mapping (Hi Mate :) ).

We ran the car a lot down the 1/4 and if you do that then you are gonna get bit in the bum now and again, which we did..I aint saying the 1JZ isnt a good engine..cause it IS..just when i see people say oh sure the 1JZ will run 500+ all day long, sure it might for some but not for everyone..and as far as the Americans go..well i guess thats America for you ;)..dyno queen springs to mind...(sorry Derrek and Guy :) )..and thye are to VERY good friends of mine who are American and i talk to most days of the week..just to prove i DON'T hate Americans :).

As for what the car was running ...2jz boostlogic kit T61 we bought from Miguel and Terry on here....which we then had altered to sit on the 1jz head...

What goes in the 1jz yep you might have guessed it..the 2 rear pistons just like the 2jz...

Andy

PS

oh we got 485bhp at 17psi on a dyno..but hey thats dyno sutff and we all know what that means ;)..i could prob have went someplace else and got another 40/50 bhp for another 50 bucks..but i went to Dastek :).

Hi Bedlam :wave:

That was a fast-ass car you had there, seat of the pants dyno says so!

I thought it was the middle two pistons on the 2JZ that usually lunched themselves?

Regarding the "thats what usually happens to an engine", I'd say there are five failure modes for an engine:

1) Wear and tear - compression loss and eventual bearing knock due to tolerances going. This is the way you want your engine to eventually die.

2) Detonation due to unfortunate circumstances - bad fuel, a heavy top end run or track usage causing high intake temps that were never catered for in your modifications, overboost, a hose coming off your FPR etc

3) Detonation due to duff workmanship - the map, the fuel components, bolting on a big turbo and running stock injectors and map etc etc

4) Foreign body ingestion - be it turbo vanes, water, rocks through HKS filters etc.

5) Hitting a tree.

I think 1) is still the most popular, 2) happens a bit, 3) has dropped off thankfully since the demise of a certain trader or two, 4) is rare and 5) well it's winter, brace yourselves.

-Ian

Hi Ian :wave:

I'm trying to understand what's killed bedlams engines, if he is saying all four engines were killed by detonation to pistons 5 & 6 then surely there's a underlying problem somewhere else? as even with a rebuilt engine with such parts as carrillo/jun/acl/ferrea etc the pistons would still be 'lunched' if there's detonation present?

I'd really like to know if each engine was actually stripped down and different fuel rails,injectors,pump,ecu were also replaced and the engines were not just given a compression test then replaced with another 1JZ :)

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

Ok

2 of the engines where due to det on the No:6 piston usual rear 1 and as i was led to believe it is the same on the 2jz..BUT i could be mistaken :).

the other 2 where due to big end failure..and 1 of them was a 1.5jz which threw a bearing while being mapped at dastek..that engine had 6540 injectors in.and all the other stuff to try and keep things as cool as poss...but hey crap like that happens sometimes, when a car is being mapped and it was just 1 of them things..we just grew tired of putting replacement engines in the car...i guess 1 of them was also due to us, taking the boost up to 21psi and blasting it around to much but god was it fun and quick..

The way i look at it is...You want lots more power outta your car everyone has to be prepared to take a chance with the outcome 1 day, and sometimes it means killing engines...I'm sure there are PLENTY of people on here that have lost an engine and worse..an spent LOTS more than we did..it's the nature of the game..upping the power on a standard engine with mods that really cant handle it..is ALWAYS going to end up badly.

As for johnd-mkiv... you take Chris's advice seriously, it is GOOD advice, and dont listen to people who rant about having 500/700bhp, running on standard blocks cause it just wont happen, well not for long as far as ew are concerned.

As the old saying goes been there done it and had SOME good times doing it..but lost of heartache as well.

Good luck mate on your project :0.

Andy

PS

Ian yer right mate getting a DECENT 11jz is very hard so wear and tear is a BIG factor...but det is a MAJOR 1 on the engines we had...and hope your keeping well mate, and hows the sapphire stuff you drink these days ;).

PPS we have a freind up here with a soarer who is on the board and his car is now set for mapping soon but he did it right and got his engine built..we hope to see that car producing something like 650+bhp..Kofi ain't you just sh!tt!ng yourself ;).