The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Subaru Impreza Sti 2.5l

dandan

I was impressed when I took one out for a test drive.

The 2.5L engine makes a HUGE difference to the feel of the impreza.

The mid range torque is the key to this engine and gives the impreza a good driving feel when accelerating hard.

The one I took out was on the pro-drive suspension pack. And this again was impressive.

Very balanced car. Usually imprezas are very understeery... for the first time I felt the 2.5L pro drive version is a good competitor to the EVO.

Still... I would never buy one due to the common frequency that you see them on the road. And due to the image that too many bling-backward base ball cap-wearing characters seem to be seen in them.

ETA ... as for comparison to my BPU Supra... the first 2 gears in the impreza felt faster (well it would... being shorter ratio and 4WD... from then on it felt that my Supra gave a bigger push in the back of the seat.

As for handling... the impreza is a shorter wheel base car and therefore 'feels' a little more direct in the turn... althought the prodrive suspension would have been helping a lot there. But as for maximum grip.... I felt I could take a particular corner faster in my Supra.

For braking... I felt my BPU Supra had better brakes. (Well, when upto temperature definitely... on a short 'stab' when cold then I would give it to the impreza)

Guest damelza

My bro had one not long ago for a bit. I liked it it, it was very well planted and felt secure in its handling. At the time we had the N/A Supra and took the 2 up onto the M62.....The top speed trophy was taken by us but only just.

I like them but then again I don't know how I'd present it nicely.... its easy to go overboard. Here in London they are very common and are well chavved up...

Thanks for the feedback fellas - much appreciated. I think I may take one for a test drive and see how it feels.....it's the extra 0.5L that created the appeal for me over an older version. Plus they are not that expensive even for a PPP version with low miles.

They are relatively common though and I wonder if they will migrate more to the "chav" environment over the next few years? Hmmmmmm....

• 4 weeks later...