The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thailand Pussy

AlanM

Nope, about a 100 miles north west of Bangkok, at a place called the Tiger Temple (near the Kwai Bridge. They tire them out all morning andd give them a big feed at lunchtime so they are pretty docile. Got some more but having trouble getting the size down

Ideally I'd like to see these majestic cats roaming free in their own territory, but if they're genuinely being cared for and aren't just becoming a tourist play thing, then that can't be a bad thing IMO.

It is a complete tourist thing unfortunately, from the pics/people I spoke to while I was out there said the tiger temple was massivly overcrowded.

Totally disagree Tom. I had doubts about even going, I have not been to a zoo for years they sadden me so much. The tigers had a massive amount of space which is all theirs (and their handlers, mainly monks), for 20 hours a day. Seemed like really good environment, and I spoke to a swedish vet who was there who stated that she would not work there if she thought the animals were in any way mistreated - I had questioned her on whether they were drugged, they were so placid. She assured me they were never sedated for enabling tourists to touch them, it was all in the training from birth and they are rigourously exercised before lunch to make sure they are docile. Apparently a tourist had to be hospitalised for a gash the day before we were there. Theymake you sign a few forms before they let you near the tigers to make sure you have no comeback.

Overall it was a great holiday Paul, Bangkok is a bit in your face but just spent a few days there. Went down to Hui Hin for a few days then up to Nong Khai. People are so kind and gentle, really mannerly people (although we heard a few rifle shots going off we never saw much of the demonstrations once we were outside Bangkok). Will certainly be returning. Nong Khai is jst over the Maekong River from Vientianne in Laos so I went over there and got a flight to Kuala Lumpar and back to Dubai that way. Was 38 in KL when I left so Glasgow was a bit of a shock.