The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Horizon - Time

RiceRocket

So the answer was, nobody knows :search: Interesting programme, Id love to understand it all especially string and membrane theory, but it would frustrate me that all you would ever see is a whiteboard full of equations...

Still, I dont care how well qualified particle physicist Professor Brian Cox is, I couldnt have him as a lecturer. Looks like a hybrid of Ian Brown and Keanu Reeves. Only a bit more simple looking :D

• 2 months later...

Another sciencey one tomorrow night for the :smartass: on here :D

-Nuclear Fusion-

Can We Make a Star on Earth?

17 Feb 2009, 21:00 on BBC Two

Synopsis:Professor Brian Cox takes a global journey in search of the energy source of the future. Called nuclear fusion, it is the process that fuels the sun and every other star in the universe. Yet despite over five decades of effort, scientists have been unable to get even a single watt of fusion electricity onto the grid.

Brian returns to Horizon to find out why. Granted extraordinary access to the biggest and most ambitious fusion experiments on the planet, Brian travels to the USA to see a high security fusion bomb testing facility in action and is given a tour of the world's most powerful laser. In South Korea, he clambers inside the reaction chamber of K-Star, the world's first super-cooled, super-conducting fusion reactor where the fate of future fusion research will be decided.

"fusion bomb testing" - I'm watching :D

• 11 months later...

Another interesting and probably mind-bending one tonight at 9m on BBC2

By our third year, most of us will have learned to count. Once we know how, it seems as if there would be nothing to stop us counting forever. But, while infinity might seem like an perfectly innocent idea, keep counting and you enter a paradoxical world where nothing is as it seems.

Mathematicians have discovered there are infinitely many infinities, each one infinitely bigger than the last. And if the universe goes on forever, the consequences are even more bizarre. In an infinite universe, there are infinitely many copies of the Earth and infinitely many copies of you. Older than time, bigger than the universe and stranger than fiction. This is the story of infinity.

Must record that.

I watched the last episode of that other "Time" program the other day (mentioned in http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=207048)... and found it quite depressing really. Not that I'm going to be around at the end of the universe (I'm busy that day), but the thought that all the stars will all eventually die off and there'll be nothing but photons floating around forever more is a strange thing to grasp.

I suppose there's always parallel universe theories.

The last one of that Chemistry one was interesting too, scientists creating new elements beyond the current periodic table.