The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Freelander td4 advise

The Raven

My parents have one- it's woeful. Great load lugger and it's bailed me out of fixes a good few times but it's a heap and imo you should consider something Japanese for the same money. It's the most unreliable car to ever grace my parents driveway (that's an easy 50 cars)

My parents have one- it's woeful. Great load lugger and it's bailed me out of fixes a good few times but it's a heap and imo you should consider something Japanese for the same money. It's the most unreliable car to ever grace my parents driveway (that's an easy 50 cars)

We talking engine wise? Or other issues.....totally put off now.

By the sounds of it be better off with a rex.

Ive got a 52 plate freelander but it petrol, to be honest apart from the slightest of niggles (alt wire is prone to corrosion) the main problem is head gasket problems, mine got changed at 32k and not a problem since then, so i can honestly say they are a lot of jeep for the money as the price has just dropped

We've just spent a few weeks researching 4x4s as we need to replace our V6 frontie. Freelanders appear to be very unreliable, really low tow limit (2t) as well. We needed one to use off road and for towing horse trailers so went for a 52 plate discovery (3.5t limit). Loads of toys, good Mpg for its class (2.5td engine). I hate the earlier models (pre 2000) as the suspension was dreadful - the facelift model is excellent and sorted many of the earlier issues.

My number 1 choice would have been the rodeo denver as you cannot beat the izuzu engine for reliability, they are price though and don't have the same room as the disco. We did consider the newer shoguns, not a bad choice if you like the looks.

If you're just looking for a toy 4x4 what about volvo? Don't know much about them but should be bullet proof. Also, the X5 comes up well on 4x4 tests.

The TD4's are reliable as sh!t I'd rather eat my own liver! lol

As strange as this may sound, we don't see many Ranger's at work for anything other than servicing. They newer ones (facelifted 55 reg onwards) go quite well, look Ok (The Wildtrack's or Thunder's) and you can get a 3.5 TDCi!

As mentioned previously, the Isuzu Rodeo Denver's aren't bad. My service manager's got one and loves it, although he can't fit a Tow bar cos of the stupid step on the back.

Warriors handle like a soggy flannel, but the other Jap's, Nissan and the Good old Hi-Lux, are normally good bets.

The TD4's are reliable as sh!t I'd rather eat my own liver! lol

As strange as this may sound, we don't see many Ranger's at work for anything other than servicing. They newer ones (facelifted 55 reg onwards) go quite well, look Ok (The Wildtrack's or Thunder's) and you can get a 3.5 TDCi!

As mentioned previously, the Isuzu Rodeo Denver's aren't bad. My service manager's got one and loves it, although he can't fit a Tow bar cos of the stupid step on the back.

Warriors handle like a soggy flannel, but the other Jap's, Nissan and the Good old Hi-Lux, are normally good bets.

None of those are achievable at 3.5k though. My disco cost 5.2k on a 52 plate and was a bargain - one garage wanted 10k for a similar model (dreamer). Denvers were closer to 9k.