The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Track Car Project

Ryan.G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought you would like it Chris :D

Im going to fit these new master cylinders from Wilwood this week and hopefully grab some performance fiction pads or portfields this week also and then try the current setup when i have properly set the bias etc.

If its still crap then, i will be getting a Tilton 600 series and a servo as they only do a 5.5:1 floor mount setup which i feel will not be enough mechnical leverage.

The current obp box is 6.2:1

Ryan

What a terrible looking thing that pedal box is!! Bin it, it's an abortion of the worst order. Even the pedals look like a slight sideways push would cripple them. That apart, the clevieses are FAR to far away from the tube. You need to just be abale to articulate the adjuster bar within the tube without the clevises jamming up. So there needs to probably be about 1/8 total (1/16 inch either side) clearance between clevises and the tube. The balance bar itself looks like it's too thin, for a none single seater application you need at least a 3/8 UNF threaded bar. Although this one probably won't do (not enough leverage ratio, I still say you need a top mount assembly) it shows how a proper one is made, and how much you need to be spending:

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/25048/Ap_Floor_Mounted_Pedal_box_and_cylinders.html

That's two of us saying the same thing! Spend the cash and make your life easier mate! (Remember what Pat said!) ;)

Ok ok, lets go for the 2008 box from the FI car :D

I would go and buy a AP or Tilton box now if i could find a floor mounted unit with a ratio of 6.2:1.

Really dont want to use a overhung unit with the seating position being so low

Ryan

Floor mounted set ups are relatively low ratio. If you think about it, to get more pedal leverage you need a longer pedal, but the human foot is a fairly finite length! If you have a 7 to one pedal ratio, floor mounted, you'd need size fifteen feet to reach from the floor to the pad of the pedal. So the vast majority of high ratio pedal boxes are top hung, like most road cars, to give a big pedal leverage without impairing driving for people with small feet :)

There is a further alternative. Fabricate a pedal that uses a long push rod to a stock servo, and have dual master cylinders on the back of that, with a balance bar *AFTER* the servo. I was going to do this on my Skyline, but the front suspension turrets intruded to much. Your situation may make this very viable though. You could use a similar set up as my Skyline currently has, but mounted on the servo instead of the bulkhead. I did it so it could be used that way on another car, in the future, when this one dies / or is decommissioned.

ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv/Skyline_Stuff/engine_bay

and

ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv/Skyline_Stuff/bias_brakes

If you look very carefully you might be able to see how I moved the horizontal C/L of the adaptor up a bit, in the car I re drilled the stock pedal to move the push rod pivot pin 10 mm closer to the pedal pivot, gaining some mechanical advantage. i still ended up running a small remote servo on the front circuit though :(

I sometimes wonder if my Skyline will ever run again, I just never seem to have time to get the final installation of the gearbox done these days. It needs a new rear mount fabricating, a new propshaft, and the gear lever stuff sorting. The box sure looks pretty sat on the garage floor though ;)

Sorry I couldn't hang around yesterday Ryan, I'd have loved to have spent more time looking at the car (and the rest of the toys at the shop at present!) but had an prior engagement to get to. I loved what I saw (again!), both technically and the speed in which it's come on makes the whole project very inspiring. Keep up the excellent work. :)

Sorry I couldn't hang around yesterday Ryan, I'd have loved to have spent more time looking at the car (and the rest of the toys at the shop at present!) but had an prior engagement to get to. I loved what I saw (again!), both technically and the speed in which it's come on makes the whole project very inspiring. Keep up the excellent work. :)

I bet he asked you to get your hands dirty :D

beat me to it :D

The difference is I did it before you to help Chris remember, you wanted to post it to try and cheapen his earlier (useful) post for some reason.

I'm not sure who you are or what your motivation is but I don't want to communicate with you from now on.

Sorry to have posted this on a very interesting thread, apologies Ryan.

Guest Supra2
The difference is I did it before you to help Chris remember, you wanted to post it to try and cheapen his earlier (useful) post for some reason.

I'm not sure who you are or what your motivation is but I don't want to communicate with you from now on.

Sorry to have posted this on a very interesting thread, apologies Ryan.

my intention was not to cheapen his earlier post, it was useful information and i stated that. i too was intending to remind chris where he plucked that information from but you beat me to it.

i might have come across as ill intention but i assure you i wasnt.

this thread is very useful and interesting and i have no intention to spoil it if thats what your implying.

sorry ryan, i didnt mean anything by it.

Ryan,

I have the sensor with me (or at least in the car) most of the time so anytime you are a bit nearer to Cheltenham give me a shout and I can get it to you. I can't get over to Autotec at the mo as I'm extremely busy - sorry. It yours whenever you want it though. :)

Doh!

What happened to 'making it work' mate? :(

Just havn't got the time with work at the moment to mess about with it.

Its still in the car at the moment and works alright now but im not confident in it as looks too weak in areas and dont want it breaking when im breaking down from 120+

If anyone wants it and fancies strengthening it then pop me a pm

Ryan