The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another attempt to kill cool cars off?

michael

I meant to post this earlier in the week but forgot, an small article in Auto Express about another potential European law that could limit the width of tyres on cars...

Tyre KO for supercars

ULTRA-wide high-performance tyres could be axed under new European laws - and it may spell disaster for fast cars!

The European Commission plans to restrict tyre rolling resistance to 10.5kg per tonne by 2014, in a bid to cut vehicle CO2 emmissions by five per cent.

Currently only half the tyres on sale would comply. But with advances in technology, by 2012 just the fastest cars would face the chop, as big rubber is needed to cope with their power. The law would see tyre resistance reduced to 12kg/tonne in 2012, and then 10.5kg/tonne in 2014

I presume this will only have an impact on cars made after these dates but even so it could mean newer stuff gets a bit dull.

Some extra reading:

http://www.vejdirektoratet.dk/publikationer/VInot23/html/chapter05.htm

What tyre manufacturer is going to make the larger tyres by 2020 if there's no new cars to put them on? Big companies like Pirelli like to use the fact that their tyre is 'the tyre of choice' for Ferrari/Porsche etc. in their marketing.

Our tyres could become a 'not for profit' product!

Thats a complete and utter farce. Who are these idiots that come up with these ideas?

For a start the % of sports cars on the road is far less than your everyday rep bus so its going to do next to nothing anyway.

Fair enough TRYING to put smaller tyres on cars, that its safe to do so on, but making it law accross the board is just daft.

Basic physics obviously doesnt equal common sense to these people.

Reducing rolling resistance also reduces grip. Reducing grip means longer braking distances, and more crashes !!!!

As previously said in another post, the ratio of sports cars with large tyres (and the smaller number of miles these cars generally do anyway), is very very small compared to the number of normal cars driven by reps etc, doing tons more miles per car.

It wont save much if any CO2.

Also, why reduce personal choice, competition, and the technological advances that fast cars make which in the long run are passed onto smaller cars ?

Why not just make that personal choice more expensive, but still allowed ?

EU nutters !!!!!!!!!

Having had a car that came fitted with "Eco" tyres with a lower resistance as standard I'm really hoping that tyre technology improves to a level where this doesn't happen but can't see how it can really, grip is grip.

Perhaps they will just screw the roads up instead? An approved standard surface that's like driving on ice.

Coming to a road near you in 2012 - the new Ferrari F70 with twin 'truck style' rear axle, sporting 2x wheels and tyres at either side to combat stupid new EU law on tyre width whilst still providing suitable tyre grip.

:eyebrows:

I thought the F70 was rumoured to be coming next year? Not heard anything on it for ages. Hopefully it won't have the truck axle. :)

I made the model code up, didn't even realise they were actually making one! :)

Well it's been a while since the Enzo (F60), and the Fxx was supposedly the development platform for the "next halo model". There were some concept drawings kicking around for a "F70" and rumours that it would be appearing next year.

They will play down the death toll increase as they will just reduce your driving speed to compensate.

How would we all like GPS controlled speed limiters, yippeeee, where do I sign :(

As long as it's switchable, I'd have liked one of those when I did loads of business miles in strange towns - one less stress watching for cameras and navigating at the same time (this was before I got a TomTom).