The mkiv Supra Owners Club

old wives tale?

carl0s

There is a small difference between the wheel size and the Speedo reading. Unfortunately I had the opportunity of checking this recently due to going through a few different sets of wheels:

- Blitz 17's 265/40/17 F1's: 100mph Speedo reading = 95mph on road angel

- Stock supra 16's 245/45/16 Bridgestone’s: 100mph Speedo reading = 92mph on road angel

- Stock supra 17's 265/40/17 F1's: 100mph Speedo = 96 mph on road angel

Not sure if that helps though!!

Editing to add: Obviously these are rear wheels sizes!

it is true the differenc on speedo and Road Angel seems to become further apart the faster i travel??? I dont understand this have checked Angel is working fine but i do know the speedo is not the place to read for correct speed reading!!! I have 18" wheels on low profile tyres .

Regards,

Sheena

Car speedos are normally out and are normally optimistic.(read high) Manufacturers will usually err on the side of caution with this sort of thing. Better to have it reading slightly too fast than read too slow. If it was proven that their speedos all read slow, they might find thtemselves being sued by people who got done for speeding, or worse,by accident victims.

As for changing wheel sizes, fitting larger wheels shouldn't make a huge difference as when you put larger wheels on, you should come down a size or two on the tyre profile. The rolling radius of tyres of different sizes is rarely exactly the same, but there are plenty of tyre size calculators on line that you can download and work out the closest tyre size on say, an 18" rim, to the original 16" or 17" rim.

Try these and see just how far out your aftermarket wheels have put you!

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Obviously tyre width make a difference too as the profile is expressed as a percentage of tyre width.

Car speedos are normally out and are normally optimistic.(read high) Manufacturers will usually err on the side of caution with this sort of thing. Better to have it reading slightly too fast than read too slow. If it was proven that their speedos all read slow, they might find thtemselves being sued by people who got done for speeding, or worse,by accident victims.

Thats right, the manufacturing tolerance's allow them to over read by upto 10% but not under read at all.

Gaz.

It's all down to the calibration of the speedo. It'll be out by a ratio - therefore reads further out of synch the faster you go.

Your speedo will be out of you change your wheels, diff ratio, gear box ratios, tyre profile etc etc.

that's why we say 10% or whatever - a percentage. So when you're doing 30mph, it'll display 33mph. When you're doing 100mph, it'll display 110mph.

or thereabouts.

bit more difficult working it backwards. When it displays 30mph you're probably doing something like 27.3mph, if it were in fact 10%.

Its a GPS device so is 100% accurate - provided of course the speed is maintained to provide an accurate reading...

I have a mate in Mountain Rescue, his GPS tells his location within a 6 feet tolerance, thats pretty good. Question is, does anyone know if a fast moving vehicle e.g. @ 150mph gives the same accuracy of reading as a 5mph one?.