The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Formula 1 - Medals System

michael

I suppose that's rewarded drivers for consistently finishing in the points like Kubica but it can also lead to the lack of overtaking, eight points for second place is just too much.

Perhaps the driver who comes last could be taken round the back & shot. The prospect of your own death (so I'm told) focus's the mind nicely- and voila...overtaking :sly:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but thats just absolute rubbish.

I work for one of the teams that isn't in "the top 3". And I'm wondering exactly who are the top 3? Ferrari, McLaren and BMW? Or maybe Renault? What about Willams? Toyota? Or Maybe even Torro Rosso?

Top 3 was just a number I pulled out of the air, calm down. :rolleyes:

I worked for a team a few years ago that was regularly beating "the top 3" teams, and were challenging for both the constructors and drivers championships and ended up 3rd in the championship in that year, which shows that it's not just the same 3 teams each year. It wasn't so long ago that Ferrari were known as a mid-field team.

I didn't say it was the same team every year... And yes, some teams are perfectly capable of making large progressions, I never said that wasn't a possibility did I?

As for the same teams winning and making the biggest gains and pulling away from the teams that don't win. I think you'll find that team I work for, which finished let's face it, dead last in 2007, actually in terms of %age laptime made the biggest gains of all the teams on the grid. I'd like to introduce you to the law of diminishing returns....

By all means, I've seen teams make big come backs. Each team seems to have a year where they do really well, and others have bad years.

So you tell me what particular bit of technology should be removed? The driver has full control over the steering, has no direct traction control, so has full control over the throttle, has no anti-lock brakes so has full control over the brake system. The only thing that has any real trick control system to it is the gearbox. So are you saying that the reason why the pace of the cars are so different is down to the gearbox control system? Right... :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I'm not qualified to make such descissions :) Besides, I'm sure you have an answer for it and a reason why it's wrong.

So what you think should happen is "the team" (I note you only mentioned the part of the team that you see on the t.v. - not the other 75% that actually enable the car and driver to win races) should turn up at the circuit. Bernie should then hand them a car to race around in, and then we should give it back at the end of the race. I think you'll find that you can do that at any go-kart track that you like for about £40 for 30 minutes.

Well I'm not going to list off the ENTIRE team am I?! Just the first few that spring to mind, which so happen to be the most obvious. I think you're taking this to heart a little too much.

I'm going to leave it here I think....

Just to save time and effort, I'll just bow down to you and bask in your infinate knowledge on this topic, because you work for a team, and kow more than us about it. No point putting my views and thoughts forward as they are all wrong in your eyes :)

Just to save time and effort, I'll just bow down to you and bask in your infinate knowledge on this topic, because you work for a team, and kow more than us about it.

Punter who watches it on TV occasionally vs someone who's worked for teams for years. Yeah, I think I know who I'll listen to.

No point putting my views and thoughts forward as they are all wrong.

Fixed that for you ;)

-Ian

The use of a Kinetic Energy Recovery System should be interesting, I didn't realise that it's only optional.

Will there be a distinct advantage in having "Kers" considering the weight and fitting space, will they sacrifice fuel tank volume or are the components relatively compact ?

Quite a few variables to consider.

It would be great to have this system on a car especially with all the cars on the road now, traffic lights, roundabouts etc when all the kinetic energy in the car is just wasted when you have to stop and accelerate again.

Let's face it, the only reason Bernie is looking to change the rules is because Ferrari didn't win the drivers championship despite Massa winning most races.

Pressure from the Italian motor racing association no doubt. ;)

Do you think Hamilton's win had any impact on this idea to change the scoring too?

Bernie wanted Hamilton to win, remember? It was supposed to be good for the ratings.

I suspect he wasn't too happy about him not racing for the win in Brazil though.

I didn't hear any fuss when the same sort of thing used to happen to Ferrari drivers though (one in particular).

I don't really watch F1 to be honest I just find it terribly boring as the drivers seem to have no urge to win, the cars start and drive around in formation for x amount of time, the cars then finish in almost the same positions they started in, big woop for winner and then it's all over. Now, BTCC and WRC are much better and much more action packed with each driver quite literally fighting for the win.

My thought anyway.

It also doesn't hurt that a bit of rubbing in BTCC is perfectly acceptable :D

:D Thats another thing, in Formula 1, unless somebody spun out, all the cars look the same as when they started, but with the BTCC the cars come back with sh@gged bodywork, parts hanging off, parts fallen off and a car that has quite simply been used and abused to within an inch of it's life:d same with WRC really but with a bit of car on car action.

You were talking rubbish though, so I feel the retaliations against you were warranted.

I think you'll find I was discussing it mainly with TLicence, who obviously knows his stuff. I may not be 100% on what I say, but at least I say it, not hide at the back and gang up on anyone who voices their thoughts. I love your bullying tatics :rolleyes:

I think you'll find I was discussing it mainly with TLicence, who obviously knows his stuff. I may not be 100% on what I say, but at least I say it, not hide at the back and gang up on anyone who voices their thoughts. I love your bullying tatics :rolleyes:

Was I bullying you? If so can you point it out?

I don't really watch F1 to be honest I just find it terribly boring as the drivers seem to have no urge to win, the cars start and drive around in formation for x amount of time, the cars then finish in almost the same positions they started in, big woop for winner and then it's all over. Now, BTCC and WRC are much better and much more action packed with each driver quite literally fighting for the win.

My thought anyway.

I know what you mean, but I do feel F1 drivers do have a a go at winning, from time to time. I don't think Lewis was backwards in coming forwards exactly :)