The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Our Malamute pup!!

tbourner

If we could just stop him howling whenever he's alone or confined we'd be alright!! The weeing we can deal with, although I'm sure if he knew to ask to be let out he'd be better at being confined as well.

re: carpet. His crate is in the lounge, on the carpet, which would be good if we could lock him in there, but we can't and he only sits in there happily when it's open, which is when he comes outside to pee (cos why would he go in his bed! :D ). Need to take him outside and wait till he goes, then go from there I think. He seems to have completely forgotten the breeders paper training!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOTALLY ignore the noise, as soon as you go and see what he's calling about he's won. Be hard, he'll soon learn the crate is his bed and calling falls on deaf ears. It's hard at first, and you'll feel aright whatsit, but it's all for the long term good. Shut the crate door, and turn up YOUR radio, he'll be fine ;) Not sure about the neighbours though... May take a month or two! Some dogs will pee or poo in the crate, even if it's small, but they soon learn that it's not for their long term happy environment. Being a "parent" is tough.

Last night was a bit better, he still howled until 3 but wasn't howling at 6 when I woke up, even when I'd got dressed and been in the loo he hadn't started, I went down and he was lying on his bed (we'd put him under the stairs between dog gates instead of his crate). Maybe he prefers the hall to the crate, so we'll do that again tonight, the little pile of poo soaked in wee was easier to clean up on the laminate as well!!

He pooed in the garden for the first time today as well, lots of praise. He wees now about 50/50 when we're outside to the lounge carpet, have to make sure we take him out when he starts circling.

You got him!!! Cute! Let me know when you want him to meet Stig :)

Yeah keep ignoring him, make a point of leaving him on his own even if you are at home all day... you'll soon spot the subtle "I'm about to pee in your house" signs and whoop him outside then he'll be house trained in no time.

Here's a pic of Stig and my mates mute/husky cross a couple of days ago.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5076361&l=3186d&id=514110322

Young Archie has had a couple of zaps off the electric fence recently, and he's reluctant to go in the front field now. It took the others a week or two to get their confidence back after being zapped (it's bad enough at 50 years of age, with wellies on, knowing what it is, so at 4 months with bare feet it must be a bit traumatic ;)). At least once they've had a few zaps it would take serious stimulus to make them attempt an escape.

The ones outside are feeling the cold a bit, but hell, they are from Russia or Turkey, so this bit of a chill in the air is nowt. Gave them some hot food tonight, spoiling them as it's New Year's Eve :) Their water bowls were solid this morning, but my tea was nice and hot, that's the main thing ;) The cattle were using their horns to smash the ice in their trough this morning, so that was one less job in minus 5. They too had a couple of buckets of extra feed, they're getting spoilt too!

Hope he enjoys the festivities, remember there may be fireworks, none of ours bother as they have heard gunshots since a few weeks old, but best to keep an eye on him if he seems bothered. If *YOU* flap about and show a reaction to them though, he probably will, my advice is to ignore the bangs as if they were everyday occurrences and carry on as normal, only intervene if he goes ballistic.

Have a good `un :) I'll soon be in the early stages of a hangover no doubt.

Hope he enjoys the festivities, remember there may be fireworks.........If *YOU* flap about and show a reaction to them though, he probably will, my advice is to ignore the bangs as if they were everyday occurrences and carry on as normal, only intervene if he goes ballistic.

Agree with the above, something worth investing in is this, play it at random times and also when eating and it takes the scare factor out of certain noises.

Worked well with ours.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clix-Noises-Treatment-Prevention-Phobias/dp/B000VNL7BW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1230750825&sr=8-1

That is a very cute doggy,

but in all honesty why would you put mascara round its eyes !?

i dont understand why you would put make up on a puppy tbourner :( lol

Hectic few days, no sleep, lots of wee on the carpet, neighbours probably hate us (DAMN can he HOWL!!!), cats are terrified, but he's SO cute!!

Trying to update the blog regularly (my sig), but don't have much time free for some reason. :D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tbourner10/pics/mals/Loki/Loki08.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Update time.

He's now just over 12 weeks, doing well, learning (I think, maybe he's teaching us!!). Main problem at the moment is he gets a hyper on where he barks at us and jumps up when we're sitting on the sofa, I guess he wants attention cos if we play he stops - we've tried ignoring him as well with mixed results, usually including him going off and weeing and pooing on the floor to get our attention!!!! Today I got in and spent an hour running around like a loon to tire him out, as soon as I sit on the sofa he goes mental jumping up at me and biting my feet and anything he can get to!!! I hope it's just puppy energy and when I start walking him longer as he gets older he might calm down a bit!

Anyway, here's a few pics from the last few days, he's just over 12kg now which is a bit light for a Mal but everyone says pups like him will be late bloomers but he will end up being much bigger than his siblings.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tbourner10/pics/mals/Loki/Week4/Loki01.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tbourner10/pics/mals/Loki/Week4/Loki02.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tbourner10/pics/mals/Loki/Week4/Loki05.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tbourner10/pics/mals/Loki/Week4/Loki06.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tbourner10/pics/mals/Loki/Week4/Loki12.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tbourner10/pics/mals/Loki/Week4/Loki13.jpg

Bloody dog! :D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tbourner10/pics/mals/Loki/Week4/Loki16.jpg

He's doing well mate, some great pics there.

Your comment, 'Main problem at the moment is he gets a hyper on where he barks at us and jumps up when we're sitting on the sofa, I guess he wants attention cos if we play he stops'

Yep, he's training you ! Even at an early stage you need to call the shots or he'll get worse as he gets older, they're all so clever at getting their own way :)

Yep, he's training you ! Even at an early stage you need to call the shots or he'll get worse as he gets older, they're all so clever at getting their own way :)

I know, it's even worse with a Mal cos they're a very domimant breed! We're doing our best but he's got so much energy it's hard to keep up, you really feel like giving in to him sometimes!! I'm a stubborn bastard though so we should be OK. I've had to pin him a few times when he wouldn't listen! :D

I know, it's even worse with a Mal cos they're a very domimant breed! We're doing our best but he's got so much energy it's hard to keep up, you really feel like giving in to him sometimes!! I'm a stubborn bastard though so we should be OK. I've had to pin him a few times when he wouldn't listen! :D

I did that a few times with our Collie, pinned him down and he didn't seem bothered :(

We've had two of the same breed before and yet our latest, Alfie, is such a head strong little b*stard compared to them, they're all so different.

We had problems at about 6 months with him when out walking so it was back to basics, such a fine line between letting them know who the boss is to crushing their spirit.

If he play bites too much (Alfie did) then try putting some coins in a small tin and shaking it when he attempts it, again we tried loads of things that didn't work before this.

Not just about the biting either, EVERYTHING they do seems to be connected with them getting the upper hand, crafty little buggers :D

We fed him this morning, he'd left a wing so when I took Zoe to work we just left it with him. Got back 10 mins later and it was gone - cool! I nipped upstairs to get him a toy and when I came down he had the wing in his mouth, sitting on the sofa (where he's not allowed, and not allowed food in the lounge at all!!). He must have hidden the wing in his bed when I went out - little sod. :D

I would imagine chicken wings. We feed raw chicken carcasses, and get through two 10 pound bags a day, plus dried food! Tripe is cheap to buy if there's an abattoir near you and you don't mind cutting up whole cow's stomachs or sheep stomachs. Big breeds will chomp a whole sheep's stomach without cutting up. You need a proper butchering knife and it's not a job for the queasy as they stink and are surprisingly hard work to chop up :)

It's a very cheap and nutritious food source though, and easily frozen if you buy in bulk.

My b/f sister has a a malamute who's about 2yrs old and he went on the wonder one day to visit our next door neighbours dog, she now has a 5 month old malamute crossed with a lab !!

I would imagine chicken wings. We feed raw chicken carcasses, and get through two 10 pound bags a day, plus dried food! Tripe is cheap to buy if there's an abattoir near you and you don't mind cutting up whole cow's stomachs or sheep stomachs. Big breeds will chomp a whole sheep's stomach without cutting up. You need a proper butchering knife and it's not a job for the queasy as they stink and are surprisingly hard work to chop up :)

It's a very cheap and nutritious food source though, and easily frozen if you buy in bulk.

Yep, chicken wings. We've been feeding mostly chicken carcasses and other odd bits that the butcher gave us, he still can't quite get through a leg bone on his puppy teeth, but he has a good go!!

Trying to find a better supplier at the moment, the first one was expensive and the second gives us some real crap, all the skin and arseholes of the carcass which Loki doesn't seem to like much - in fact he doesn't seem to go for the carcasses from there at all, he prefers the other bits from the expensive place! D'OH!

We got him some minced tripe to try as we were in the pet shop, it does stink!!! But he does like it so that's a good idea for the future. Will probably need to give him less of his veg mush if we're giving more tripe as well. Need to get some offal in as well as we haven't given him any since we got him.

He's started biting his middle and legs now, and I think he's scratching more although that could be me thinking it when it's not. He's not got fleas or anything, do you think something (or lack of) in the food could cause it? We seem to have just been giving him carcasses and not much else except veg mush every so often. Gonna give him some lamb leg we had in the fridge tonight, he seems to like that!