The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The most interesting fact you know

hogmaw

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Water DOESN'T flow in different directions in the sink in the northern and southern hemispheres, it's a myth.

Not true! its proven if you go to the equator, ask a lot of the squaddies on here who have been to Kenya, they will of probably stopped there on the way up country to a place called NSG.

There is a guy that does the thing about putting a match stick in a funnel of water and letting the water drain out, 10 meters either side of the line the match stick spins in the other direction, so it is true, and the readings for the spot are taken by GPS so is as good as true as you will get.

Richie

Not true! its proven if you go to the equator, ask a lot of the squaddies on here who have been to Kenya, they will of probably stopped there on the way up country to a place called NSG.

There is a guy that does the thing about putting a match stick in a funnel of water and letting the water drain out, 10 meters either side of the line the match stick spins in the other direction, so it is true, and the readings for the spot are taken by GPS so is as good as true as you will get.

Richie

Trev's right.

The Coriolis effect is too weak to affect small amounts of water. The 10m either side of the equator thing is a trick. Is it plausible, given the size of the earth, that a difference of ten metres is going to affect the relevant forces that much?

It's a myth.

Trev's right.

The Coriolis effect is too weak to affect small amounts of water. The 10m either side of the equator thing is a trick. Is it plausible, given the size of the earth, that a difference of ten metres is going to affect the relevant forces that much?

It's a myth.

It's also to do with the shape of your particular basin, so I'm told.

Trev's right.

It's a myth.

It doesn't help when there is programmes like Long Way Down on in which Ewen and Charlie fall for the trick!

There is a guy that does the thing about putting a match stick in a funnel of water and letting the water drain out, 10 meters either side of the line the match stick spins in the other direction.

Yeah and have you seen those stage magicians? Cos they actually DO cut women in half and then stick them back together!!!!one!

:rolleyes:

So what did i see then? how is it a trick?

richie

I'm sure they wobble the funnel slightly to get the water to vortex in the correct direction, according to which side of the equator they are on at the time. If you see what I mean.

As you're intently watching the water/matchstick moving, you probably don't notice the funnel wobbling slightly too.

Am I correct? Answers please :)

I'm sure they wobble the funnel slightly to get the water to vortex in the correct direction, according to which side of the equator they are on at the time. If you see what I mean.

As you're intently watching the water moving, you probably don't notice the funnel wobbling slightly too.

Am I correct? Answers please :)

The guy does not touch the funnel, just pours the water in and places a match on the surface and you watch it rotate, even to the extent of stopping it with you finger and trying to force it the opposite direction, it does not work, still reverts to either clock or anti clockwise.

richie