The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bleeding the brake system

Homer

The entire system was empty (including the ABS unit) so need to do a full bleed of the system.

I've already bled the master cylinder and tried to use the normal method of just bleeding at the calipers, but the brakes hardly work. It's been said on here that the ABS system can be a 'mare to get air out of but I'm not sure how to go about it and previous threads are a little inconclusive.

So can anyone clarify how to fully bleed the system? Here's what I've got so far..

1) Bleed master cylinder

2) Bleed ABS system (how?)

3) Bleed at each caliper in order

Hi darrel, have you tried with the engine running, if so could be a dodgy master cylinder.

No, the engine wasn't running when I tried to bleed the system last time. Do I need the engine running to bleed the ABS? This was one of the inconclusive subjects in previous threads here

Thanks Si, any advice is welcome!

No, the engine wasn't running when I tried to bleed the system last time. Do I need the engine running to bleed the ABS? This was one of the inconclusive subjects in previous threads here

Thanks Si, any advice is welcome!

With ABS it doesn't work till the engine is running so i would guess you would need to bleed with the engine on.

Can't be sure, just my way of thinking.

^ Yeah That ^

Pressure Bleeding is the Future! We didnt have one in the workshop at one point, BUT what a difference. Isnt there a way to get the ABS to pump fluid to all 4 Corners and just a case of cracking open the nipples, in effect doing the same job as a Pressure Bleeder, i know some car's do it, but you need the Diagnostic to DataLog/Activate the ABS System