The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Share dealing

Ian C

FTSE 250 down 1000 points recently...

Many lows on a few, but many have also had lower targets set now iirc.

Interesting to see what the BoE do with rates next week, as also the EMF with short term loans expiring.

There is an announcement today regarding a $442 billion loan package, I am sure that will hit the banks which is why we have seen a decline over the last few days :)

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a little update on this :D

Still messing about when I get the time, I find you really have to keep an eye on things but would like to start trading to receive some dividends but am confused by all the terms etc used, does anyone know what these mean :-

* INTERIMS

* INTERIM DIVIDEND PAYMENT DATE

* INTERIM EX-DIVIDEND DATE

* QUARTERLY EX-DIVIDEND DATE

* FINALS

* SPECIAL EX-DIVIDEND PAYMENT DATE

* FINAL EX-DIVIDEND DATE

I have found that the EX-DIVIDEND dates mean that if you purchase the stock it will not complete in time for you to receive the dividend, but not sure about all the other terms.

:thumbs:

• 1 month later...

I haven't :) My investing is strictly AIM small caps - high risk but potential high reward. I've got fingers in some pies and hope for a substantial result by 2012 if things work out as they should.

I think it's very hard to do day trading or even short term trading as a private investor - you're always well behind the curve compared to the institutions. Hence me 'investing' rather than 'trading'.

I haven't :) My investing is strictly AIM small caps - high risk but potential high reward. I've got fingers in some pies and hope for a substantial result by 2012 if things work out as they should.

I think it's very hard to do day trading or even short term trading as a private investor - you're always well behind the curve compared to the institutions. Hence me 'investing' rather than 'trading'.

I had a play at some Forex trading yesterday, most brokers provide a demo account that you can trade on the real market with in a simulation, seems fun although with the potential to win big comes the potential to lose big :D

• 5 months later...

I am. Not doing so well though. I was unlucky enough to be in the XEL drop. I pulled out with a great loss and stuck the remainder in other world resources but with the overall market, I can't see a profit happening at all. I'm at great risk of losing half of my TT6 fund.

I am. Not doing so well though. I was unlucky enough to be in the XEL drop. I pulled out with a great loss and stuck the remainder in other world resources but with the overall market, I can't see a profit happening at all. I'm at great risk of losing half of my TT6 fund.

The markets seem very fragile at the moment, the discussion boards are fairly quiet with regards to some shares etc, could be the lull before the storm :D

I've been playing for a few years now, overall I'm up a decent chunk. Did get very lucky with some small cap oil companies though. BPC, SOU, CAD all showing very good profits. Not as good as a couple of months back though.

Commodities market is nasty at the moment.

I dont get anywhere near enough time to study the market these days so now looking at building up a dividend based portfolio. I am gutted as the agent I am using doesnt have a trailing stop loss function only a regular stop loss which is a shame :(

I'm in the markets a bit too. A few ups and a few downs but I've got a couple of long term plays that might make good returns and some short term stuff that I turn over fairly quickly. Made 30% profit out of the Southern Cross turmoil recently with a quick buy/sell strategy. :-) Being on the computer for at least half of most days I can keep on top of fast moving stuff though, if I couldn't do that I wouldn't risk anything like the small cap AIM stuff I follow now - I'd stick with Blue chip good dividend players but that still seems like a gamble but savings accounts are soooo crap at the mo I reckon it's worth a punt if you keep on top of it.

My aim is to build up capital over time and move profits in to less risky options but I know it's along game as I don't have lots to play with at the mo. However, if one of my risky plays comes off I'm looking at 50 times ROI! (Probably wont happen though and 10x is more realistic - fingers crossed!)

Don't trade more than you can afford to lose folks!

Savings accounts are so bad, as an example to get the same return from a regular cash ISA as a possible single stock dividend payment you would need 10x in the cash ISA, obviously a cash ISA is safe and there is nothing to stop a dividend not being paid but its still shocking.

I'm still messing around - I've been bulking up on ftse 100 companies that pay dividends, especially ones that are ex-div at the moment. Waiting for the leap in price when they start paying them again and also stocking up on numbers while they're cheap. Have a few funds as well to try balance things out....

I'm still messing around - I've been bulking up on ftse 100 companies that pay dividends, especially ones that are ex-div at the moment. Waiting for the leap in price when they start paying them again and also stocking up on numbers while they're cheap. Have a few funds as well to try balance things out....

What funds have you been looking at?

i use iii and most of y investments are in aim oil exploration companies its a gamble that if doesnt pay of off i lose money but if it does pay of i could make lots of money, do good research and only go on your own judgement but be prepared to lose just as much as your prepared to gain :)

dan

I'd be interested in that aswell, I looked at that about a year or so ago.

I am using the spread demo account from FXCM at the moment, although not actually completed a trade yet, I am still looking at strategies and then using the information from historical data to see if it would have been a win or lose situation.