The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Share dealing

Ian C

More than 1 crash - a series of crashes one after the other

this has only just started

All the research in the world ain,t going to help,look to history ie 1930 and add credit cars,store cards, house ownership, a constant need for growth , and the shear complexity ( read folly) of modern global financial systems

The modern system forces people to become investors and speculators - like it or not , constant growth ,ask yourself is that possible ?

Yet it has to be..

Running along an exponential curve must end very badly...

Again I warn of major problems ahead-but if people think they can better mathmatics, then carry on, trade away .......

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said earlier - I'm not 'trading'. I'm particularly invested in a company that owns multiple mines containing copper and gold. It has funding in place already to achieve it's targets, has little or no debt and is sitting on massive assets that are considered to be a 'safe haven' in such times.

I won't invest in management companies, exploration companies etc. Only companies that are sat on resources that are actually worth something. I won't deny that the current times are challenging, but it may not play out to be as apocolyptic as some would have us believe. 2008 was bad, but I'm still here and I've made money in the last 18 months, mainly in companies that own basic resources. Some shares I have sold for over 15 times what I paid for them.

The money I have invested now is staying put. I can afford to lose it - just - but to sell now would be insane considering the point at which these projects currently are.

Oh - and mathematics doesn't always rule the markets. In the last 18 months the worst times are due to sentiment (read 'panic') ruling the markets. At times like that it's sometimes better to sit on your hands and wait out the storm. (depending on the sector you're involved with - banking sector wasn't a place to be if you bought your shares during more 'normal' times) When sentiment rules the markets, logic goes out the window. Opportunities can present themselves at such times, and bargains can be mopped up - not without risk, but if you spread the risk well, fortunes can be made. The only Mathematics that I employed in making good money in late 2008 and 2009 was to buy into companies underpinned with lots of resource, with funding sorted out and little debt. I bought the shares low and those I sold, I sold them high.

You can't buy them cheap in a boom time...

Any there any good sites for reading up on whats happening in the markets to help make some educated guesses?

Therein lies the problem; There are views from each extreme from total collapse , to its all going to return to "normal" - most humans base their logic or descisions on what has happened before - this is fine until something new occurs then we struggle to move beyond what has happened before

Soop dogg will defend his position or ideas, its unnatural to say I could have got this totally wrong, and also history is on my side - This type outlook typifies the "market " its about human reactions , as he says ignore the mathmatics - well mathmatics and logic are immoveables -they override what people "think" every time

Current market moves totally defy logic,and probably are being manipulated by the Govts in charge ,they have to keep confidence high and currencies valid ,without confidence the whole thing collapses

Its a lack of confidence that is pressurising Greece -How can they pay back the money ? yet the bigger question is how can the USA pay back 26 trillion dollars ?

There are so many disconnects ,Gold -how can paper gold outnumber real actual gold by 100 to 1 ? it hasn,t even been mined yet !!

What to read ? the opposite extremes- Von Mises -and Keynes -the outcome is somewhere between and apply good old common sense

This morning ftse down 2.5% - do people consider this a "normal" event? And after how many such events will it take to alter perception,

Tricky to call it. My inaction might end up costing me, but we'll see. In the short to medium term it seems to be a punt on whether any other of the PIGS countries will experience Greek-style financial woes.

Do you currently hold any short positions?

Soop dogg will defend his position or ideas, its unnatural to say I could have got this totally wrong, and also history is on my side - This type outlook typifies the "market " its about human reactions , as he says ignore the mathmatics - well mathmatics and logic are immoveables -they override what people "think" every time

Whoa there buddy! Who said to 'ignore the mathematics'?

I simply said that "mathematics doesn't always rule the markets" which is a fair thing to say. In fact, mathematics-wise, if you take a long enough view, shares (as a whole) will appreciate - eventually. That's why building a portfolio across enough companies/sectors reduces risk. If it was so obvious that things were going to come crashing down round our ears, why is anyone at all buying shares today?

By the way - today is actually a blue tick day for me, so I'm happy with my stock. Almost everything else out there is a sea of red - currently there are 'No Winners' in the FTSE 100!

:)

Wez, take a look at Money Morning and Market Oracle for market stuff. They're both free, although you get the usual adverts and the odd Email trying to get you to sign up to other paid crap.

Also, Google Gerald Celente to get an idea of what jagman is talking about. He likes the theatrics (Gerald that is) but I find it hard to argue with his logic.

Wez, take a look at Money Morning and Market Oracle for market stuff. They're both free, although you get the usual adverts and the odd Email trying to get you to sign up to other paid crap.

Also, Google Gerald Celente to get an idea of what jagman is talking about. He likes the theatrics (Gerald that is) but I find it hard to argue with his logic.

Top stuff :thumbs:

There are a couple I have been keeping an eye on that are AIM but sadly cannot be used in my ISA portfolio, one of them jumped another 10% this morning while the other has stayed steady.

I was tempted to fund my normal stock account but am I correct in saying that any money made in that would be subject to income tax :(

There are a couple I have been keeping an eye on that are AIM but sadly cannot be used in my ISA portfolio, one of them jumped another 10% this morning while the other has stayed steady.

I was tempted to fund my normal stock account but am I correct in saying that any money made in that would be subject to income tax :(

No, AFAIK ISAs only shelter you from Capital Gains Tax (CGT). The distinction is important. The two different taxes have different allowances. I suspect many people investing in a stocks and shares ISA might not be in danger of paying CGT on their investments anyway, although I might be wrong.

About the AIM stock you were looking at: this is what I meant by "not letting the tax tail wag the investment dog". If something's a good investment, then invest regardless of whether it's ISA-able or not. Keeping a 10% gain and paying CGTV on it is better than making 3% on a FTSE100 share and not paying CGT on it.

Please note I'm not recommending buying, selling or whatever. This is just generic investment advice from one amateur to another. :)

About the AIM stock you were looking at: this is what I meant by "not letting the tax tail wag the investment dog". If something's a good investment, then invest regardless of whether it's ISA-able or not. Keeping a 10% gain and paying CGTV on it is better than making 3% on a FTSE100 share and not paying CGT on it.

I understand what your getting at now :thumbs:

http://www.trendsresearch.com/index.htm

Celente, Peter Shiff,Chris Martenson, and a number of people have been giving a heads up for a number of years ,albeit a bit over dramatised

Each forcaster has valid points and questions ,but the answers are not forthcoming

As time progresses I think there will be fundamental changes and it will effect what is and isnt an "investment"

Tax wise there must be changes , if you cant tax people who have very little ,then who exactly are you going to tax?

To cover the UKs debts there will be a sell off ,on a grand scale ,The Roads and the BBC for example will be sold ,its only a matter of time... So the people own these type of things ..then sold to private companies ... then the people pay for their use ,,can you see an Irony ,,,,,much like Banking really:rolleyes:

Don't worry about it, worst thing you can do is chase stock without proper research. Price swings like that are common on AIM, it's a very volatile market with plenty of opportunities to both make and loose money ;)

Don't worry about it, worst thing you can do is chase stock without proper research. Price swings like that are common on AIM, it's a very volatile market with plenty of opportunities to both make and loose money ;)

Don't worry I won't jump in, at the moment I am just watching and keeping an eye on what others are saying etc.

• 2 weeks later...