The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Share dealing

Ian C

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any recommended sites to deal through?

The usual ones mentioned in this thread will do them but most of them you have to call to arrange rather than doing online. You could also do spread betting with shares across the world.

Only played with uk shares so far, some bargins out there at the moment, RBS almost hit 40p earlier in the week.

Lucky if you bought some at 40 chap, they've risen near 5% today due to clearance to be bought. Wish I could trade shares easily but I have to ask our conmpliance department for clearance every time I'd want to do a buy or sell order and they can randomly refuse :(

even though I work in IT and have no dealngs with trades that our company does.

Boo :( but :) for those with rbs.

I sold all mine this morning as they seemed to have peeked for the time being. Didn't want to risk anything the new government would do to scare the market so thought I'd get shot now.

Made just under £5000 profit in less than 18 months :) (with an outlay of £4000 initially).

Bit better than the poxy interest the banks are offering on savings ;)

Not sure now if I should buy some new ones in something different?

Lloyds do a good deal when selling, £27 payment for each deal online. I had other prices anything up to £100 for the same transaction :(

I've got a small number of BP shares, which I bought near the top. :(

Whether to sell, hold or buy is turning out to be an interesting mix of beliefs, personal psychology and nerves.

You only lose if you sell them for less than you paid, they are highly unlikely to fold so I would hang on to them ;)

You only lose if you sell them for less than you paid, they are highly unlikely to fold so I would hang on to them ;)

They are effectively self insured (BP) so are liable for all compensation :( Costs could will be in the tens of billions :(

True :). Although another way of looking at it is that the price you paid is irrelevant as soon as you've bought the shares. The decision to buy more or sell up can be (should be?) driven by whether or not the shares are likely to increase in value between now and somewhen within my investment horizon. If you think they'll go down to e.g. 250p then they're a screaming sell, regardless of what you paid.

I think the psychology of fear vs "greed" (not really the right word but you get my drift) plays an important part, and it's one of the many parts of investing that I find fascinating. :) Needless to say, I've yet to get to grips with my own investment psychology.

They are effectively self insured (BP) so are liable for all compensation :( Costs could will be in the tens of billions :(

I've read figures in the financial press estimating it at $20bn or so.

Keeping an eye on a few today, some bargins out there at the moment :thumbs:

FTSE 250 down 1000 points recently...

Many lows on a few, but many have also had lower targets set now iirc.

Interesting to see what the BoE do with rates next week, as also the EMF with short term loans expiring.