The mkiv Supra Owners Club

suspension options

bigbloodyturbo

Well recently my supra has been a bit disappointing handling wise. The steering is very vague mid corner and seems to get VERY light when applying power on the exit of a bend. I've changed the rubber and had a 4 wheel laser alignment to Lance.w specs and allthough that helped the skittish rear end, it has just shown how bad the front is. The car is a 95 with 52k on it and i'm not sure how to deal with this. I have thought of a coilover setup ( Tein superstreets) however i'm not sure that will fix it as that only replaces dampers and with the mileage on it i'm not sure the dampers are at fault. Second option is getting some new bushes fitted but i've heard very bad things about polybush kits.

My fathers 840ci weighs 1.8tons, has 30k miles more on it and is in need of new rubber and it still runs rings around the supra in the twisties and exhibits much more stability at speed. I want to start putting money away to try and sort this but its hard when i dont know what i'm saving for. Any advice or insight into the best thing to do or which parts may be causing this would be of great help.

ive been told that the teins are shiny bits of rubbish in a box ive just had mine replaced by chris wilson used blistein using my original springs and im very happy there a little bit harsher than stock but still ok might be worth having a word with chris. im not putting the teins down as ive never used them and im sure theres plenty of members using them,i just took advice from a respected member as we a sick of making wrong decisions that have cost us dear hope this helps a bit

Good info, were the bilstein dampers ChrisWilson installed the optional yellow bilsteins that came on the jspecs as i already have those with stock springs. My springs also seem to be sagging at the rear which makes the front look like its on stilts. The more i think about this the more i'm thinking the whole suspension just needs replaced:(

The more i think about this the more i'm thinking the whole suspension just needs replaced:(

i came to the exact same conclusion as this and have now bit the bullet and started collecting all the relevent suspension components, i also did some searching on here and found for the money the Tein SS are a pretty good set up so have bought these with the EDFC because i'm a sucker for gadgets :D

i came to the exact same conclusion as this and have now bit the bullet and started collecting all the relevent suspension components, i also did some searching on here and found for the money the Tein SS are a pretty good set up so have bought these with the EDFC because i'm a sucker for gadgets :D

I think I'm going to do the same, hopefully buying over the space of a few months (luckily winter and not summer!) will deaden the blow. Have you got a list of the parts and there relevant part numbers by anychance?

I can only comment on the std but slightly worn suspension i had when i bought mine, and the SS+EDFC that i have had for two years now, and it feels very planted now, if a little harsh.

How many miles did your car have before you put the SS on? and how long was it on British roads? I think this might have a significant effect given our crappy road network.

I think I'm going to do the same, hopefully buying over the space of a few months (luckily winter and not summer!) will deaden the blow. Have you got a list of the parts and there relevant part numbers by anychance?

How many miles did your car have before you put the SS on? and how long was it on British roads? I think this might have a significant effect given our crappy road network.

My car was a fresh import and then spent a year on the crap roads around my area before the Teins went on, and they have now been on for two years.

will probably go for those when the time comes but i'm going to try and replace some of the main suspension components first then move from 19's back down to 18's and see if that combined makes a noticable difference

It will make a significant difference provided you get your offset and wheel/tyre sizes correct and have a full geo done. In my experience 19's destroy the handling, 18's are better, but always preferred the stock 17's when it came to weekend fun on the twisties.

It will make a significant difference provided you get your offset and wheel/tyre sizes correct and have a full geo done. In my experience 19's destroy the handling, 18's are better, but always preferred the stock 17's when it came to weekend fun on the twisties.

The 19's came on the car and look the part but lack of sidewall is really hurting the ride quality. For looks they score highly but I'm going to 18's or maybe even 17's with a higher sidewall, cheaper rubber with more choice aswell.

Are some manufacturers better than others when it comes to the AVERAGE (not volk or anyother 2grand a set wheel) set of alloys, I like the look of rota and ultralite but as you say, i would prefer the proper offsets and proper size holes at the hub.

Guest howie700
Sounds like the chris wilson setup is the way to go or atleast a place to start. I shot him an email so hopefully he'll know.

I had a full suspension rebuild by Chris about a year ago. It's like driving a new car, still a bit tail end happy but that's probably due to the power. A full system from Chris worked out around £1,400. Sounds a lot but honestly worth every penny. And if Chris builds it it will have to go through the alignment and geo set up again, but that's in the price.

His springs and bilsteins are to his own spec, and they work.....

I had a full suspension rebuild by Chris about a year ago. It's like driving a new car, still a bit tail end happy but that's probably due to the power. A full system from Chris worked out around £1,400. Sounds a lot but honestly worth every penny. And if Chris builds it it will have to go through the alignment and geo set up again, but that's in the price.

What gets replaced in that setup? is it just the springs and shocks or does anything else get replaced at the same time?

when you say full suspension rebuild i suspect you are actually talking about only new shocks and springs, i am sure Chris does a cracking job but no amount of geometry setup will compensate for worn out wishbone and control arm bush's

Guest howie700

Springs, shocks, topmounts reengineered if needed, all checks on all bushes rubbers etc, new bushes somewhere will cost a bit more,' Because I have a Du-luck nose cone on it was a bit low at the front so had to take it back for top mounts to be altered to raise it 1 inch at the front and all the geo reset, about another £250. BUT, it really does drive like a new one, taught, responsive steering, A bit hard on the suspension for CD changers so I use mem sticks instead. Handles superbly. Still think I've a small problem with the rear end but Chris can't find it so I'm not worrying. I checked out all the various options and decided in the end that a Chris Wilson set up was the way to go. I only do about 5000mls a year in it so it should last for quite a while, even on West Yorkshire roads.. I run on 18's with 265-35 on the rear and 245-35 on the front and it feels really good. Well worth it, not the cheapest option I have to admit but the result is really worth having.

Springs, shocks, topmounts reengineered if needed, all checks on all bushes rubbers etc, new bushes somewhere will cost a bit more,' Because I have a Du-luck nose cone on it was a bit low at the front so had to take it back for top mounts to be altered to raise it 1 inch at the front and all the geo reset, about another £250. BUT, it really does drive like a new one, taught, responsive steering, A bit hard on the suspension for CD changers so I use mem sticks instead. Handles superbly. Still think I've a small problem with the rear end but Chris can't find it so I'm not worrying. I checked out all the various options and decided in the end that a Chris Wilson set up was the way to go. I only do about 5000mls a year in it so it should last for quite a while, even on West Yorkshire roads.. I run on 18's with 265-35 on the rear and 245-35 on the front and it feels really good. Well worth it, not the cheapest option I have to admit but the result is really worth having.

this is the probelm, if i were to go for a CW setup and get all that fitted i could end up with a very nice spring/damper combo but still have a car with vague steering and bum traction due to a knackered bush somewhere. I've had a tech check all the bushes before my last laser alignment and he said there was no problems/play in any of the bushes but i'm not sure if he checked all of them as there are quite a few.

Guest howie700

Chris will check them all properly.. My only problem is very mild, and I mean very mild and slight squirreling under exreme acceleration, with a very slight opposite effect if I back off fully from full bore. Most likely down to the diff. Used to get it my rally cars sometimes if the LSD wasn't set up properly. I know people can all make mistakes but if Chris says they are OK then the chances are that they are.. Pity you are so far away or I could let you see mine. It felt like a bag of s**t before, I thought all sorts of things had gone. But now..... WOW....