The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bear Grills V Ray Mears who would you choose???

johnd-mkiv

Been watching alot of Bear grills programs on discovery and channel four on sundays. I find myself glued to the screen :blink: hes an absolute nutter but very well knowleged and has a great way of presenting the program. apart from drinking his own piss and eating some of the stuff he does:scare:

Ray Mears Ive not seen much of but he seems to be a fair bit chilled out with a more laid back approach, and meal times look more apealing :D

if you were stuck in a remote part of the world which one of the two would you choose to keep you alive??

Ray, he's calm, methodical and respects his environment, Grylls has his skills but he's too gung-ho in his presentation, he comes across as a TV character rather than someone who is being documented.

I agree with you on this one, i went to his show earlier in the year, very informative and he truly respects the way of life of the people that he his living with.

I see them as to different types of person, Ray is more at one with the environment, his programs are more based on long time survival, Bear's are more about finding yourself in a situation and getting out of there as quickly as possible. ie swimming down grade 3/4 rapids, would you really risk the chance of a broken back or legs? i know i wouldn't.

richie

Ray Mears without a doubt, that guy is the kind of person you need when you're up a certain creek without a certain implement.

Grills is a complete clown and you can tell the risks and the crap food are for the benefit of the cameras.

If both were to parachute onto a mountain range which one do you think would avoid the lake, rather than go straight into it and then have to dry his kit off.:confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't bear actually say recently that Ray Mears is a much better survivalist than he is and he bows to his knowledge?

Ray Mears could actually survice well in any environment, I think Bear would be dead way before Ray as he doesnt know how to survive well, he just knows how to get by.

He has also admited that a lot of his stuff is staged and made for an audience. Not dissimilar to Top Gear where they actually make stuff up for visual effect.

So its Ray Mears for me.