The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speed awareness course

cadman 26

Got caught doing 38mph in a 30 zone a while ago. I don't deny the speed but I'm a little miffed that i was caught by a mobile speed unit which was parked 100 yards after a speed camera.:protest: ( and they claim they're not just after our money :no:)

Anyway i have been offered a speed awareness course. Has anyone on here been on one of these? If so, what sort of things can i expect?

Got caught doing 38mph in a 30 zone a while ago. I don't deny the speed but I'm a little miffed that i was caught by a mobile speed unit which was parked 100 yards after a speed camera.:protest: ( and they claim they're not just after our money :no:)

Anyway i have been offered a speed awareness course. Has anyone on here been on one of these? If so, what sort of things can i expect?

Yes- I was caught doing 35 in a 30mph zone, by Northamptonshire Polizei, about 4 years ago.

I went on the evening's course, paid my £60 fine and 0 points...

The two officers who ran the course were very friendly and gave out some good advice- in a non-patronising way.

Enjoy :)

Got caught doing 38mph in a 30 zone a while ago. I don't deny the speed but I'm a little miffed that i was caught by a mobile speed unit which was parked 100 yards after a speed camera.:protest:?

Precisely the reason why the camera van was there. To catch drivers like you who slow down for the camera and then speed up again.

I'd take the course, you'll only be offered it once and what's a few hours against 4 years of increased insurance premiums?

with what you will pay in insurance premiums will outweigh the fine anyway, if they would have offered me the course id have gone every night for a month:D, (but no they banned me, and even though i got the ban reduced and 3 points i cant get insured yet!!!!)

take the course mate its only a few hours

I did one a little while ago. My 'course' involved about 3 hours of admitting you were a speeder and discussing the reasons why people speed and the consequences of speeding.

Then we had a little audience participation type test in small groups to see how many dangers we could spot in various pictures.

In the afternoon, we then had to go out in pairs with an advanced driving instructor. For 15 minutes both me and my co-speeder had to drive 'normally', then we stopped and the instructor told us how terrible we both were. He then took the wheel and showed us his version of good driving... After that, we both had another half an hour of monitored/criticised driving, finally resulting in a written appraisal for us to take home pointing out our good and bad points.

The thing that utterly amazed me, was that the driving instructor was trying to teach us how not to slow down! - Driving within the speed limits but watching ahead, and no to slow down for roundabouts or clearly visible junctions. If I'm completely honest, I was a bit shocked... It was almost like racing... Slowly!

Anyway, it was worth paying an extra £40 to keep a clean license. And you get to keep a nice silver pen :)

I did one a little while ago. My 'course' involved....

That's not a course for speeding is it, for minor accidents (driver awareness) isn't it.

I "had" to go on one too and went through same course. My driving review's main comment- "You like those roundabouts don't you!" :D

(I had to stump up £160 though :( and no silver pen :complain:)

• 1 month later...